C&O 21920 twin hopper

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

C&O 21920 twin hopper

The web site thinks the date to be "ca. 1930-1940", but I think I see a 1925 date on the side of the car.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

After downloading and adjusting image levels in Photoshop, a 1925 weigh date stencil is visible.

The centered end posts and brake platform, and the different grab/handhold ladders on the corners make this an interesting prototype. I just modified a couple Bowser GLa hoppers to mimic the centered end posts. It was pretty easy.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

The web site thinks the date to be "ca. 1930-1940", but I think I see a 1925 date on the side of the car.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Larry Smith

According to the 1937 C&O freight car book, these cars were built by Standard Steel Car 1906.  They were rated at 50-tons.  The drawing indicated that they had heap shields on each end.  They were classified as H5-8 on the C&O  C&O acquired 1500 of these cars in two different number series and by 1936, 147 cars in the 21000-21999 were left with all of them being retired in 1939

Larry Smith

On Monday, May 17, 2021, 9:29:19 AM CDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

After downloading and adjusting image levels in Photoshop, a 1925 weigh date stencil is visible.

The centered end posts and brake platform, and the different grab/handhold ladders on the corners make this an interesting prototype. I just modified a couple Bowser GLa hoppers to mimic the centered end posts. It was pretty easy.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

The web site thinks the date to be "ca. 1930-1940", but I think I see a 1925 date on the side of the car.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

David

This is among the earliest examples of the 1905 Common Design hopper, built in probably June 1906.

David Thompson

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Eric and List Members,

As soon as you said this, I immediately looked at all the differences between the Bowser GLa and this C&O hopper. Yet after taking a minute to consider your words, I can now easily see how this kitbash would work, and work well. There are far more similarities than there are differences.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Claus Schlund

The web site thinks the date to be "ca. 1930-1940", but I think I see a 1925 date on the side of the car.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

Here’s a recent blog post covering the end posts and other alterations.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN