From: Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...>
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 18, 2020 10:39 am
Subject: [RealSTMFC] C&O Burro Crane Photos

Friends,

Today I'm sharing six photos of C&O Burro cranes. All these photos were taken in the 1980s or 1990s, most at Charlottesville, but two views are of the same crane at Gladstone (front and rear). I don't know for certain when these cranes were built, but I suspect that most date from the 1950s and so are within our timeframe.

Strangely, I've never seen any bigger C&O cranes, though they certainly had some large machines. I would not be surprised if there is/was one stationed at Clifton Forge, and possibly another at Newport News or Richmond.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Larry Buell

On the Santa Fe, for a time, each road master had a Burro Crane that would remain on their territory all year.  Very handy for unloading track materials or picking up scrap or laying turnouts.  My Burro Crane had a rail clamp and a magnet.  I remember Model 15’s, Model 30’s (which I operated as a management trainee), Model 40’s and the hydraulic Model 50’s. The Model 50’s were used on system extra gangs (e.g. steel gangs).  We even unloaded signal houses as a favor to the Signal Dept. in Topeka/Lawrence area.

Buell

A&Y Dave in MD

When were burro cranes or their like first introduced?

Dave Bott

Friday, June 19, 2020, 11:04:26 AM, you wrote:

Locomotive cranes  were found on the C&O, though apparently not in the numbers seen on some other railroads. In contrast to the meticulous  listing of C&O's wreckers, data on smaller cranes is very scattered and hard to find.

I personally only photographed one  crane; RC-24, an Industrial Works/Industrial Brownhoist Model N of at least 60 tons capacity used for bridge work.

Burro cranes are a special case. They are usually numbered in with the track machines (such as tampers, spike drivers, etc.), and the numbers  tend to be scattered all over. Lifting capacities are tied to the  model number, which can be found cast into the rear of the cab, under the trade name "Burro". For example. a Model 30 is good for 7½ tons.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

Today I'm sharing six photos of C&O Burro cranes. All these photos were taken in the 1980s or 1990s, most at Charlottesville, but two views are of the same crane at Gladstone (front and rear). I don't know for certain when these cranes were built, but I suspect that most date from the 1950s and so are within our timeframe.

Strangely, I've never seen any bigger C&O cranes, though they certainly had some large machines. I would not be surprised if there is/was one stationed at Clifton Forge, and possibly another at Newport News or Richmond.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  閭

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC
--
____________________________
David Bott, modeling the A&Y in '34

Bruce Smith

It is just amazing to me what a Google search of "Burro Crane History" can find!

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
In 1990, Burro Crane Inc., then a subsidiary of Avis Industrial Corporation, moved from its Chicago facility to subsidiary, Badger, which acquired the Burro 40 & 45. Burro Crane was a sister company at the time. In 1997, Badger produced the last Burro Model 40 crane.
moablive.com

[...]

mofwcaboose

Small four-wheeled cranes dated back to 1883 in the US (1859 in England) and were always a part of the Industrial Works line, but these were all steam cranes.

Cullen-Friestedt introduced the Burro Crane around 1921. The first cranes looked like little stiff-leg derricks on four-wheeled flat cars. They were gas-powered and could lift 2½ tons. The first full-revolving ones were introduced around 1929. The type has been steadily improved since then The current model 6000 is no longer rail-mounted except on retractable railroad wheels when needed.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL