Topics

Caboose A vs. B End Orientation Question

Nelson Moyer

I’m working on two waycars (Burlington usage), and I need to know which end is considered the A and B end where the cupola is offset from center. Specifically, I’m building two CB&Q NE-10 steel waycars as modified in 1945 by blanking out one window, moving the toilet, and adding a truck generator, battery box, wagon wheel antenna. These cars were updated with Ajax power hand brakes at the same time. My question has to do with the orientation of the brake cylinder, control valve, and air reservoir, i.e. does the brake cylinder point toward the long end or the short (cupola) end.

Nelson Moyer

Gary Roe

Nelson,

I can't speak for the CB&Q; but Wabash cars had the brake cylinder pointing toward the short (cupola) end.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Thursday, January 9, 2020, 7:34:51 PM CST, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I’m working on two waycars (Burlington usage), and I need to know which end is considered the A and B end where the cupola is offset from center. Specifically, I’m building two CB&Q NE-10 steel waycars as modified in 1945 by blanking out one window, moving the toilet, and adding a truck generator, battery box, wagon wheel antenna. These cars were updated with Ajax power hand brakes at the same time. My question has to do with the orientation of the brake cylinder, control valve, and air reservoir, i.e. does the brake cylinder point toward the long end or the short (cupola) end.

Nelson Moyer

Jack Mullen

It appears the orientation of the brake cylinder was unchanged.  The cylinder is concealed by the battery boxes, but photos in the Burlington Waycars book of cars with the boxes and wagon wheels removed show the cylinder pointing to the short end.

Jack Mullen

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Jack. The drawing of the underbody in the instructions has the brake cylinder pointing toward the long end, which is labeled Front (non-cupola) End on the drawing. For freight cars, the brake cylinder points toward the B end, which is what prompted the question. There are other oddities on the drawing such as the transverse mounting of the control valve and placement of the air reservoir on the same side as the brake cylinder with the control valve on the opposite side of the center sill, which is the reverse of most freight cars, though some cars have all three brake components on the same side of the center sill. There are the discrepancies between the drawing and the pilot model photos regarding the orientation of the air reservoir. These cars were built by the CB&Q in the Aurora car shop, so without prototype drawings or some clear underbody photos, I’m not sure how to build the brake system.

Nelson Moyer