can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830 FLAT RAIL BROWN.

I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!

So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the metal rail?

Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...

I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked, and what didn't work)

Thanks in advance

Claus Schlund

W.R.Dixon

Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab
Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick.

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Hi List Members,
About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830 FLAT RAIL BROWN.
I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the metal rail?
I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked, and what didn't work)
Thanks in advance
Claus Schlund

Tim O'Connor

Have you tried something like Minwax polyurethane stains? Those will stick and they are
way cheaper than hobby paints and you can mix pigment colors into them to vary the shade.

On 7/19/2021 11:46 PM, W.R.Dixon wrote:

Bill Dixon

Hi List Members,
Thanks in advance
Claus Schlund

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bill and List Members,

Bill wrote: "Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab"

Thanks very much for the paint recommendation - greatly appreciated.

Bill also wrote: "Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick"

I applied the Tru-Color paint onto brand new just-taken-out-of-the-box track. No oil of any sort came near it. It just doesn't stick to the metal

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail?

Bill Dixon

> Hi List Members,
> About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track
> (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one
> bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the
> biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN
> paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it
> the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
> So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can
> brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the
> metal rail?
> Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...
> I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked,
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Charles Peck

I have been using Testors enamel paint pen on rails and been satisfied with it.  Have not tried painting ties with it.
Has been a while since I bought any, the availability may have changed.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:37 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,

Thanks in advance

Claus Schlund

Wallace Steinbrecher

One thought:  since the rail stock is drawn through a die in order to shape it, lubricant from the drawing process may still be present on out-of-the-box track.  

Regards,
Wallace Steinbrecher 

On Tuesday, July 20, 2021, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Bill also wrote: "Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick"

I applied the Tru-Color paint onto brand new just-taken-out-of-the-box track. No oil of any sort came near it. It just doesn't stick to the metal

Claus Schlund

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail?

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
> Hi List Members,
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> metal rail?
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Wallace and List Members,

In a message sent to me offline, Peter Hall suggested I might need to clean the side of the rail with alcohol first before painting. Your suggestion that even brand new rail may have an oil coating strengthens Peter Hall's suggestion in my mind.

Perhaps it is time to do some testing to see if that makes a difference...

Claus Schlund

Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:47 AM

One thought:  since the rail stock is drawn through a die in order to shape it, lubricant from the drawing process may still be present on out-of-the-box track.  

Regards,
Wallace Steinbrecher 

Claus Schlund

Bill Dixon

> Hi List Members,
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> metal rail?
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Douglas Harding

I would concur, unless you cleaned it yourself, assume the rail has a lubricant or something on it. Metal needs to be clean for paint, any kind of paint, to stick.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Wallace Steinbrecher
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:48 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Regards,

Wallace Steinbrecher 

Claus Schlund

Bill Dixon

> Hi List Members,
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> metal rail?
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Todd Hermann

I've gotten good results with MicroLux Rail Brown.  Sold by Micro-Mark and, I believe, made by Vallejo.  I actually use a mix of their Rail Brown and Roof Brown colors on the rails, but it goes on nicely, covers well, and stays put.      

Todd Hermann
Falls Church, VA

Eric Hansmann

I started building my own track switches in early 2020. I pulled each rail through a paper towel soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Lots of unseen stuff came off on the paper towel.

Late in 2019, I opened a package of Intermountain wheelsets to paint. I was very surprised to find them dripping with lube. I now scrub all metal wheelsets before they are painted.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:23 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Hi Wallace and List Members,

In a message sent to me offline, Peter Hall suggested I might need to clean the side of the rail with alcohol first before painting. Your suggestion that even brand new rail may have an oil coating strengthens Peter Hall's suggestion in my mind.

Perhaps it is time to do some testing to see if that makes a difference...

Claus Schlund

Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:47 AM

Regards,

Wallace Steinbrecher 

Claus Schlund

Bill Dixon

> Hi List Members,
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> metal rail?
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Nelson Moyer

Tru Color is known for adherence problems on resin, plastic, and metal. Alcohol cleaning doesn’t improve adherence for Tru Color. For freight cars, media blasting and/or priming with an organic solvent base primer improves adherence. For track, that’s not an option, so I clean with 91% isopropanol and paint with Floquil. Now that my Floquil stock is nearly depleted, I’ll try Scalecoat II flat. I tried Poly Scale, but is doesn’t stick to plastic ties very well, even after alcohol cleaning. Other options would be to use Rustoleum camo colors in rattle cans for ties, then brush paint rail with decanted rattle can paint or Scalecoat II flat. Bottom line is that track needs organic solvent base paints for adhesion and durability.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:24 AM

I would concur, unless you cleaned it yourself, assume the rail has a lubricant or something on it. Metal needs to be clean for paint, any kind of paint, to stick.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

mopacfirst

I've always used weathered rail, and I'm still laying it on Central Valley tie strip.  I haven't applied paint to hardly any rail, so I can't answer the question directly, but the weathered rail has been bathed in acid, presumably their "Rail Weathering Solution" which I believe is selenous acid, which produces a browniish color as the chemical reaction begins.  Could be that this treatment also removes a lot of the drawing lubricant and whatever else is on as-drawn rail.

I used to use Floquil Instant Weathering in a rattle can on the tie strip before laying it, applying it randomly and masking off a few ties here and there to simulate new ties.  Old CV tie strip was black, but now it's a brown color -- I called them to discuss this once.  Now I use Scalecoat II weathering colors, paint pens, and some other stuff to color the tie strip, usually before cementing sections of it together so that this mixes up the coloring on the ties even more.

I use the Rail Brown color a lot for rusty stuff, since most of the available "rust" colors are the color of rust that's a few days old at most.

Ron Merrick

Todd Sullivan

Interesting.  I have been washing my flex track by soaking it with Dawn or other dish-washing liquid in the bath tub for 30 minutes, then drying it and airbrushing it with tie color craft acrylics in a large homemade paint booth.  Then I install it on the layout and paint the rails an details with acrylics or PolyScale later.  I have been doing this for several years, and these paints seem to hold up well over time.

Probably one of those cases where YMMV.

Todd Sullivan

Ken Adams

A while ago I acquired several bottles of Vallejo 71.080 Rust which I brush on (not airbrush) on the sides of rails after ballasting etc.... 

Why rust?

I actually get the color of the rails on the siding to the left.  Now admittedly this is rail in an extreme environment.  This photo was take on the ex SP Coast line just south of the launch towers at Vandenberg AFB and the rails are subject to damp salty fog air most of the time. You can faintly see the launch towers in the distance in the photo.  

Ken Adams
Still in splendid Shelter In Place solitude, about half way up Walnut Creek
Owner PlasticFreightCarBuilders@groups.io

WILLIAM PARDIE

I am surprised (I know not why) To hear of this problem.  I acquired a stash of Floquil.Rail Brown which I use primarily on wheel axels and couplers.
Also in my stash are some Right-O-Way code 81 flex track which (IMHO) is the best flex track ever. I have taken to spraying some of the track everytime I shoot some wheelsets.  I also have several sections that I use in photos that were painted years ago..No special preparation was done. There has been no flaking what so ever.

I probably have to import some track layers to ever get a layout.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/20/21 5:37 AM (GMT-10:00)

Interesting.  I have been washing my flex track by soaking it with Dawn or other dish-washing liquid in the bath tub for 30 minutes, then drying it and airbrushing it with tie color craft acrylics in a large homemade paint booth.  Then I install it on the layout and paint the rails an details with acrylics or PolyScale later.  I have been doing this for several years, and these paints seem to hold up well over time.

Probably one of those cases where YMMV.

Todd Sullivan

golden1014

Hi Claus,

I recommend Testors Rubber as a base coat for track and ties.

John Golden
Ramstein, Germany

Steve SANDIFER

Just a reminder that the color of your rail will depend on when and where you are modeling. If you are a steam operator, coal leaves different color residue than oil. If you have roller bearings your track will be cleaner and therefore more of a rust color than with older oil journals. In the desert SW you find a lot of sand and dust that blows against the tracks leaving a different color than the black to be found around a coal hauling area. Ballast color varies widely, and ballast dust accumulates on the rail. Rail color is not a one size fits all – but by all means paint the rails. Unpainted rails look toyish.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of golden1014 via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 2:39 PM

Hi Claus,

I recommend Testors Rubber as a base coat for track and ties.

John Golden
Ramstein, Germany