can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830 FLAT RAIL BROWN.

I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!

So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the metal rail?

Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...

I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked, and what didn't work)

Thanks in advance

Claus Schlund

W.R.Dixon

Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab
Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick.

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
[...]

Tim O'Connor

Have you tried something like Minwax polyurethane stains? Those will stick and they are
way cheaper than hobby paints and you can mix pigment colors into them to vary the shade.

On 7/19/2021 11:46 PM, W.R.Dixon wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bill and List Members,

Bill wrote: "Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab"

Thanks very much for the paint recommendation - greatly appreciated.

Bill also wrote: "Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick"

I applied the Tru-Color paint onto brand new just-taken-out-of-the-box track. No oil of any sort came near it. It just doesn't stick to the metal

Claus Schlund

Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab
Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick.

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
> Hi List Members,
> About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track
> (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one
> bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the
> biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN
> paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it
> the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
> So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can
> brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the
> metal rail?
> Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...
> I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked,
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Charles Peck

I have been using Testors enamel paint pen on rails and been satisfied with it.  Have not tried painting ties with it.
Has been a while since I bought any, the availability may have changed.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:37 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
[...]

Wallace Steinbrecher

One thought:  since the rail stock is drawn through a die in order to shape it, lubricant from the drawing process may still be present on out-of-the-box track.

Regards,
Wallace Steinbrecher

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
> Hi List Members,
> About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track
> (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one
> bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the
> biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN
> paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it
> the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
> So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can
> brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the
> metal rail?
> Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...
> I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked,
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Wallace and List Members,

In a message sent to me offline, Peter Hall suggested I might need to clean the side of the rail with alcohol first before painting. Your suggestion that even brand new rail may have an oil coating strengthens Peter Hall's suggestion in my mind.

Perhaps it is time to do some testing to see if that makes a difference...

Claus Schlund

Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab
Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick.

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
> Hi List Members,
> About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track
> (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one
> bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the
> biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN
> paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it
> the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
> So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can
> brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the
> metal rail?
> Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...
> I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked,
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Douglas Harding

I would concur, unless you cleaned it yourself, assume the rail has a lubricant or something on it. Metal needs to be clean for paint, any kind of paint, to stick.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab
Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick.

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
> Hi List Members,
> About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track
> (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one
> bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the
> biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN
> paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it
> the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
> So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can
> brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the
> metal rail?
> Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...
> I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked,
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Todd Hermann

I've gotten good results with MicroLux Rail Brown.  Sold by Micro-Mark and, I believe, made by Vallejo.  I actually use a mix of their Rail Brown and Roof Brown colors on the rails, but it goes on nicely, covers well, and stays put.

Todd Hermann
Falls Church, VA

Eric Hansmann

I started building my own track switches in early 2020. I pulled each rail through a paper towel soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Lots of unseen stuff came off on the paper towel.

Late in 2019, I opened a package of Intermountain wheelsets to paint. I was very surprised to find them dripping with lube. I now scrub all metal wheelsets before they are painted.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

In a message sent to me offline, Peter Hall suggested I might need to clean the side of the rail with alcohol first before painting. Your suggestion that even brand new rail may have an oil coating strengthens Peter Hall's suggestion in my mind.

Perhaps it is time to do some testing to see if that makes a difference...

Claus Schlund

Try Vallejo Model Air 71.139 US Field Drab
Keep in mind that if the rail is oily the paint will not stick.

Bill Dixon

On 7/19/2021 7:36 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
> Hi List Members,
> About a year back, I wanted to brush paint a short section of track
> (ties and rail both) on my layout a rail brown color. So I puchased one
> bottle each of Tru-Color TCP-822 FLAT RAILROAD TIE BROWN and TCP-830
> FLAT RAIL BROWN.
> I was not happy with the Tru-Color paint for multiple reasons, but the
> biggest is that, once fully cured, I found that the FLAT RAIL BROWN
> paint did not stick very well to the metal rails - if you breathe on it
> the wrong way the paint falls right off - argh!
> So my question is - can anyone recommend a rail brown paint that I can
> brush onto the rail? And have it look good? And have it stick to the
> metal rail?
> Naturally, steam era freight cars will be rolling on these rails...
> I would be happy to read any and all recommendations (both what worked,
> and what didn't work)
> Thanks in advance
> Claus Schlund

Nelson Moyer

Tru Color is known for adherence problems on resin, plastic, and metal. Alcohol cleaning doesn’t improve adherence for Tru Color. For freight cars, media blasting and/or priming with an organic solvent base primer improves adherence. For track, that’s not an option, so I clean with 91% isopropanol and paint with Floquil. Now that my Floquil stock is nearly depleted, I’ll try Scalecoat II flat. I tried Poly Scale, but is doesn’t stick to plastic ties very well, even after alcohol cleaning. Other options would be to use Rustoleum camo colors in rattle cans for ties, then brush paint rail with decanted rattle can paint or Scalecoat II flat. Bottom line is that track needs organic solvent base paints for adhesion and durability.

Nelson Moyer

From: "Todd Sullivan via groups.io" <sullivant41@...>
Date: 7/20/21 5:37 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Interesting.  I have been washing my flex track by soaking it with Dawn or other dish-washing liquid in the bath tub for 30 minutes, then drying it and airbrushing it with tie color craft acrylics in a large homemade paint booth.  Then I install it on the layout and paint the rails an details with acrylics or PolyScale later.  I have been doing this for several years, and these paints seem to hold up well over time.

Probably one of those cases where YMMV.

Todd Sullivan

golden1014

Hi Claus,

I recommend Testors Rubber as a base coat for track and ties.

John Golden
Ramstein, Germany

Steve SANDIFER

Just a reminder that the color of your rail will depend on when and where you are modeling. If you are a steam operator, coal leaves different color residue than oil. If you have roller bearings your track will be cleaner and therefore more of a rust color than with older oil journals. In the desert SW you find a lot of sand and dust that blows against the tracks leaving a different color than the black to be found around a coal hauling area. Ballast color varies widely, and ballast dust accumulates on the rail. Rail color is not a one size fits all – but by all means paint the rails. Unpainted rails look toyish.

J. Stephen Sandifer