Topics

Can anyone tell me anything about the "Safcar" running board and step?

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Here:

https://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2365201/datastream/OBJ/view

And check out the gorgeous hand brake wheel!

Elden Gatwood

Jack Mullen

Yes.
The correct name is "Safkar", made by the Irving Iron Works Co., Long Island City, NY. The open grid is formed by alternating straight and zigzag bars, all running longitudinally, riveted together, forming a distinctive pattern of trapezoidal openings.
Page in the '28 CBCyc shows use as passenger car step treads, mentioned being in use for 8 years. In the '31 Loco Cyc, they're shown as loco running boards and steps. Not found in the '40 CBCyc.
I've wondered about their possible use on freight cars, but don't recall ever seeing anything in print. I have a vague notion that I've seen something of the sort in the real world, long ago. So this photo is a cool find.

I'll try to post an image later.

Jack Mullen

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Nice photo... is there one of the side of the car? And my attention was drawn to the two tenders (from class L1s?) in the background. Makes me think that this photo was taken in the early (pre SK) 1950’s.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California

Andy Carlson

My now gone friend Jack Parker, who lived and breathed the Northern Pacific RR, detailed an O scale A5 NP brass Northern 4-8-4 back in the 1990s. He made the boiler running boards as exact as can be using the described method of straight and bent bars. It sure was spoiling for me to view that level of detail; it would be much harder of a challenge to execute a board this well in smaller scales. His son Jeff has this 1st place contest winner on display in the corridor leading to the NP HO scale railroad which Jack built 20 + years ago. Go look for it the next time you are there!
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, January 3, 2020, 3:58:01 PM PST, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

Yes.
The correct name is "Safkar", made by the Irving Iron Works Co., Long Island City, NY. The open grid is formed by alternating straight and zigzag bars, all running longitudinally, riveted together, forming a distinctive pattern of trapezoidal openings.
Page in the '28 CBCyc shows use as passenger car step treads, mentioned being in use for 8 years. In the '31 Loco Cyc, they're shown as loco running boards and steps. Not found in the '40 CBCyc.
I've wondered about their possible use on freight cars, but don't recall ever seeing anything in print. I have a vague notion that I've seen something of the sort in the real world, long ago. So this photo is a cool find.

I'll try to post an image later.

Jack Mullen

Brian Carlson

Much earlier since it’s a builders photo of a 1940 built X38. Great pic!!

Brian J. Carlson

On Jan 3, 2020, at 7:13 PM, Bill Daniels via Groups.Io <billinsf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Nice photo... is there one of the side of the car? And my attention was drawn to the two tenders (from class L1s?) in the background. Makes me think that this photo was taken in the early (pre SK) 1950’s.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California

Guy Wilber

Jack wrote:

“The correct name is "Safkar", made by the Irving Iron Works Co., Long Island City, NY. The open grid is formed by alternating straight and zigzag bars, all running longitudinally, riveted together, forming a distinctive pattern of trapezoidal openings.

Page in the '28 CBCyc shows use as passenger car step treads, mentioned being in use for 8 years. In the '31 Loco Cyc, they're shown as loco running boards and steps. Not found in the '40 CBCyc.”

Jack,

Irving Type AA Grating running boards were among the first approved by The AAR’s Committee on Safety Appliances when specifications for running boards other than wood (via Interchange Rule 3) took effect on January 1, 1944.

The ICC permitted the limited use of “experimental” running boards as early as 1932. The “Safkar” design may have been different than The Type AA Grating due to the specifications adopted in 1944.

By 1952 in addition to The Irving Type AA, another approved running board was listed as, The Irving Subway Grating Company’s Grating, R-BC. These were both applicable to house cars as well as covered hoppers. The Irving Subway Grating Company’s Grating, R-TC was listed for tank car running boards, dome steps and dome platforms.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Brian Carlson

Bill I see the paint code now and on the other Photos Bill lane posted of the car to the PRR list.
Brian Carlson