Topics

Car ID just for fun

Clark Propst

It's be nice to know the make up of this train (attached) running on the branch l model.

It's obvious the first car is an X31. I've been told the second is a D&H Seley hopper. I have a Bowser X31 and bought the F&C Seley to build this winter.
Don't know enough about tank cars to guess which HO company offered that car, if any? Not sure the road on the door and a half box Boston & Albany maybe? The hopper kind of looks like the one offered by Roundhouse? Not sure about the last two box cars. I do have a much larger scan I didn't what to attach I can send to those who are really interested in I Ding the cars.
Thanks all!
Clark Propst

O Fenton Wells

Don't know much about tank cars but it looks like the next car aft of the tanker is a USRA rebuild.  The 3 bay offset side hopper could be an MDC but I'd opt for the old Stewart, Accurail or Bowser.  Just say'in

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

al_brown03

The tank car doesn't have stub side sills, so it isn't AC&F or Union Tank. On top of the dome, the two safety valves are a ways apart, not next to each other, but also not dead opposite. I'm guessing General American, and I'd model it with a Tangent car. (Most of what I know about tank-car spotting comes from Ted Culotta's "Freight Cars Reference Manual", vol 2.)

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

David

The tank looks like a pre-1917 GATC car (though that doesn't tell you whose car it is), and I'll suggest that the car behind it is a C&O steel-sheathed rebuild of their 1920s auto boxes (the narrow door is on the right).

David Thompson

Clark Propst

I've convinced myself the three bay hopper is the MDC car. Now anyone know what RRs had cars like that?
Thanks you all,
Clark Propst

O Fenton Wells

Quite a few. I know SR did but many others did as well
Fenton

On Nov 14, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I've convinced myself the three bay hopper is the MDC car. Now anyone know what RRs had cars like that?
Thanks you all,
Clark Propst

Don Burn

If that is an AAR 70-ton triple hopper which is my guess, then AT&SF, B&O, CP, L&A, MP, NKP, NYC, P&LE, SAL, SP are some of the roads with that hopper.

Don Burn

I've convinced myself the three bay hopper is the MDC car. Now anyone know what RRs had cars like that?
Thanks you all,
Clark Propst

Bruce Smith

Clark,

To be precise, it's a single door X31A.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

It's be nice to know the make up of this train (attached) running on the branch l model.

It's obvious the first car is an X31. I've been told the second is a D&H Seley hopper. I have a Bowser X31 and bought the F&C Seley to build this winter.
Don't know enough about tank cars to guess which HO company offered that car, if any? Not sure the road on the door and a half box Boston & Albany maybe? The hopper kind of looks like the one offered by Roundhouse? Not sure about the last two box cars. I do have a much larger scan I didn't what to attach I can send to those who are really interested in I Ding the cars.
Thanks all!
Clark Propst

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst wrote:
"Not sure the road on the door and a half box Boston & Albany maybe?"

I agree with the assessment that this is a Chesapeake & Ohio rebuild.  Boston and Albany did have 1-1/2 door automobile boxcars, but these were double-sheathed boxcars (B&A 56000-56039, Lot 322-B, 40 cars), built 1915, retired 1948.  (Lot 322-B also contained cars built for Big 4, NOR, LE&W, MCRR, NYC, and P&E totaling 989 cars.)
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-322.jpg

Clark wrote:
"The hopper kind of looks like the one offered by Roundhouse?" and "I've convinced myself the three bay hopper is the MDC car. Now anyone know what RRs had cars like that?"

Fenton Wells replied:
"The 3 bay offset side hopper could be an MDC but I'd opt for the old Stewart, Accurail or Bowser." and "Quite a few. I know SR did but many others did as well."

Fenton, you're incorrect as the Devil is in the details.  Early offset hoppers introduced in the late 1920s featured a shorter taper akin to that seen on contemporary quad hoppers (familiar to HO scale modelers as the much-abused Athearn quad).  The MDC model features the short taper.  These were used by a fairly small number of railroads; DL&W and NYC come to mind.  The cars modeled by the Stewart/Bowser and Accurail models are AAR standard triples introduced at the beginning of WWII and have many users.  See Richard Hendrickson and Ed Hawkins' RMJ articles for more information (linked below):
http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1995_4/
http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1995_8/
http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1996_5/

Back to Clark's photo: I agree that this is one of the early offset triples.  The short taper clearly shows in the photo.  As for railroads, the NYC cars were 2000 cars in Lots 524-H (NYC), 556-H (NYC), 597-H (B&A) and are essentially offset versions of the USRA-design triple hopper.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-597.jpg
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/b&;a-25144.jpg

Unfortunately, there are no good models of these cars in HO scale.  The MDC model is putrid - the side sill is too deep, the hoppers are too shallow, and it has the incorrect number of side stakes (visible at the top of the car in the offset).  I've entertained cutting up an Athearn quad into a triple, but it's on the long list of things to do.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Don Burn wrote:
"If that is an AAR 70-ton triple hopper which is my guess, then AT&SF, B&O, CP, L&A, MP, NKP, NYC, P&LE, SAL, SP are some of the roads with that hopper."

It is not - note that the car has the earlier short taper vice the long taper of the later car.

Ben Hom

Robert kirkham

Clark - are you able to post a higher resolution cropped version of the photo for the last cars? With higher resolution, they may be within reach.

Rob

O Fenton Wells

Ben, good catch I didn't look at it that closely.  The SR bought 500 of the later ones in the early 50's and never bought anymore.

Fenton

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 3:52 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
Clark - are you able to post a higher resolution cropped version of the photo for the last cars?  With higher resolution, they may be within reach.

Rob

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

O Fenton Wells

Another error, SR only bought 300 of these in 53.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 3:55 PM O Fenton Wells via groups.io <srrfan1401=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Always good to hear from you Ben, you give it straight ;  ))

But, I don’t want to be one of those that uses “There’s only an ‘inferior’ model available so therefore I can’t model whatever?”. There’s also the late Stan Rydarowicz’s rule of diminishing returns. Compromise is the order here. I will be using the MDC car, just need to know which roads had cars ‘close’.

As for the C&O rebuilt box car, is there a model available of that?

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

David Thompson wrote:

"
The tank looks like a pre-1917 GATC car (though that doesn't tell you whose car it is), and I'll suggest that the car
behind it is a C&O steel-sheathed rebuild of their 1920s auto boxes (the narrow door is on the right)".

    Thanks David. I'm not familiar enough with the C&O car roster to question you on that but certainly ruled out Boston
& Albany as soon as noting that the 1/2 door was on the right rather than the left of the full door. The lettering on the
right side also troubles me as the first line looks like it might be two words and rather than an ampersand in the middle
it looks instead like the word "and" written out on a downward slope to the right. Doesw anyone else see this?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Steve and Barb Hile

I don’t think that there are kits for the C&O cars.  They were rebuilds of double sheathed cars from the mid 1920’s that were done in 1941 and 42 to add steel sides and door and a half.

From Carl Shaver’s books:

C&O 12000-12168 were done in 1941 from C&O series 82000-82999 which had been built in 1924-25 by Illinois Car & Mfg Co

C&O 13558-13828 were done in 1942 from C&O series 83000-83999 which had been built in 1924 by Pullman (as Hocking Valley 34000-34999.)

There is a Howard Ameling photo of 12020 in the second volume of Shaver’s book.

Steve Hile

Always good to hear from you Ben, you give it straight ;  ))

But, I don’t want to be one of those that uses “There’s only an ‘inferior’ model available so therefore I can’t model whatever?”. There’s also the late Stan Rydarowicz’s rule of diminishing returns. Compromise is the order here. I will be using the MDC car, just need to know which roads had cars ‘close’.

As for the C&O rebuilt box car, is there a model available of that?

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bill McClure

I think I showed these once before, but maybe on the Resin list. I spent quite a few hours crawling on and under the 12k and 13k series when in MOW service as part of a project to build the 12k series. These models are cast resin from my masters, representing the 82k series and later. I have yet to do the 12k in-service version, but maybe now is a good time to start.

Bill

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst wrote:
"But, I don’t want to be one of those that uses “There’s only an ‘inferior’ model available so therefore I can’t model whatever?”. There’s also the late Stan Rydarowicz’s rule of diminishing returns. Compromise is the order here. I will be using the MDC car, just need to know which roads had cars ‘close’."

Frankly, you're better off using the Ulrich offset triple, which is actually an excellent model of a B&LE 90-ton car.  [It differs from the other cars by having more side posts (visible in the offset).]

Ben Hom

gary laakso

Really good looking models!  What types of ends do they have?

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

I think I showed these once before, but maybe on the Resin list. I spent quite a few hours crawling on and under the 12k and 13k series when in MOW service as part of a project to build the 12k series. These models are cast resin from my masters, representing the 82k series and later. I have yet to do the 12k in-service version, but maybe now is a good time to start.

Bill

Jared Harper

Nice models.  They need some weathering tho.

Jared Harper