Topics

Carbon black car pictures

Walter

I have been asked by an acquaintance in Eau Claire, WI if I knew a source for pictures of carbon black cars, these are not the usual covered hoppers.

The Milwaukee moved carbon black in special cars from Kansas City to Uniroyal in Eau Claire, WI. I don't know anything about those cars and don't have pictures of them. Any help would be appreciated, the pictures would be used in an upcoming book.

Walter Ohrnell

clipper841@att.net <clipper841@...>

the*late*rmj*had*a*couple*of*articles*regarding*them*in*a*
series*covering*covered*hoppers*the*articles*can*be*found,
doing*search*of*trainlife.com*be*prepared*for*doing*some
serious*reading*as*you*are*going*to*have*to*browse
through*some*30*copies,*to*find*what*you*are*looking*for
the*easiest*way*is*to*search*for*"covered*hoppers"*and*then
look*at*the*general*description*of*the*article*on*the*first*page,
it*will*give*you*a*brief*synopsis*of*past*articles*and*their
location
good*luck
mel*perry

On Jan 23, 2014, at 4:13 PM, wohrnell@... wrote:

I have been asked by an acquaintance in Eau Claire, WI if I knew a source for pictures of carbon black cars, these are not the usual covered hoppers.

The Milwaukee moved carbon black in special cars from Kansas City to Uniroyal in Eau Claire, WI. I don't know anything about those cars and don't have pictures of them. Any help would be appreciated, the pictures would be used in an upcoming book.

Walter Ohrnell

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

Try the following link. Carbon black cars have been around for 80 years. There have been quite a few different designs.

Eric N.

I have been asked by an acquaintance in Eau Claire, WI if I knew a source for pictures of carbon black cars, these are not the usual covered hoppers.

The Milwaukee moved carbon black in special cars from Kansas City to Uniroyal in Eau Claire, WI. I don't know anything about those cars and don't have pictures of them. Any help would be appreciated, the pictures would be used in an upcoming book.

Walter Ohrnell

Sent from my iPad

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 23, 2014, at 7:35 PM, Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...> wrote:

Try the following link. Carbon black cars have been around for 80 years. There have been quite a few different designs.

Eric (and Walter), I wrote an extensively illustrated article on carbon black covered hoppers in the January 2007 issue of Railmodel Journal.

Richard Hendrickson

I have been asked by an acquaintance in Eau Claire, WI if I knew a source for pictures of carbon black cars, these are not the usual covered hoppers.

The Milwaukee moved carbon black in special cars from Kansas City to Uniroyal in Eau Claire, WI. I don't know anything about those cars and don't have pictures of them. Any help would be appreciated, the pictures would be used in an upcoming book.

Walter Ohrnell

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

Richard,

Is there any chance you turned up a builder or date for CABX 67-76? he ORER reports 10 cars ordered from PSC placed 11-36, but that was before CABX 47-66 were ordered from ACF in 7-37.

Eric N.

On Jan 24, 2014, at 4:26 AM, Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...> wrote:

Richard,
 Is there any chance you turned up a builder or date for CABX 67-76? he ORER reports 10 cars ordered from PSC placed 11-36, but that was before CABX 47-66 were ordered from ACF in 7-37.

Sorry, no.

Richard

Aley, Jeff A

Walter,

               Did those loads of carbon black originate in KC, or is that just where the MILW received them?  I am interested to know if carbon black was produced in KC (and during what time frame).

Thanks,

-Jeff

I have been asked by an acquaintance in Eau Claire, WI if I knew a source for pictures of carbon black cars, these are not the usual covered hoppers.

The Milwaukee moved carbon black in special cars from Kansas City to Uniroyal in Eau Claire, WI. I don't know anything about those cars and don't have pictures of them. Any help would be appreciated, the pictures would be used in an upcoming book.

Walter Ohrnell

O Fenton Wells

I used to see a lot of the Carbon Black cars in northern WV off I 77 in the early 1980's.  North of Parkersburg near St. Mary's OH
on the Chessie
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Jeff,

I do not know if any carbon black was produced in the Kansas City area. But I can add that it was produced in Borger, Texas, by Phillips Petroleum Company and could have been transferred from the ATSF to MILW at Kansas City.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jan 24, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Aley, Jeff A <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote:

Walter,

               Did those loads of carbon black originate in KC, or is that just where the MILW received them?  I am interested to know if carbon black was produced in KC (and during what time frame).

Thanks,

-Jeff

I have been asked by an acquaintance in Eau Claire, WI if I knew a source for pictures of carbon black cars, these are not the usual covered hoppers.

The Milwaukee moved carbon black in special cars from Kansas City to Uniroyal in Eau Claire, WI. I don't know anything about those cars and don't have pictures of them. Any help would be appreciated, the pictures would be used in an upcoming book.

Walter Ohrnell

Mikebrock

Bill Keene says:

"I do not know if any carbon black was produced in the Kansas City area. But I can add that it was produced in Borger, Texas, by Phillips Petroleum Company and could have been transferred from the ATSF to MILW at Kansas City."

I don't know if it was moved through Kansas City but I can vouch for it being produced in Borger since I was there [ 1942/3 to be exact ]. Interesting stuff. The brush was coated with it or from the black smoke from the plants. Artificial rubber was apparently produced as well.

Mike Brock

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

While traveling to and from a higher education at Oklahoma State University in the second half of the 1960s I remember seeing numbers of carbon black cars at Ponca City, Oklahoma. I can not tell you if the product was being produced or consumed at that location.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jan 24, 2014, at 2:10 PM, "Mike Brock" <brockm@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

Bill Keene says:

"I do not know if any carbon black was produced in the Kansas City area. But
I can add that it was produced in Borger, Texas, by Phillips Petroleum
Company and could have been transferred from the ATSF to MILW at Kansas
City."

I don't know if it was moved through Kansas City but I can vouch for it
being produced in Borger since I was there [ 1942/3 to be exact ].
Interesting stuff. The brush was coated with it or from the black smoke from
the plants. Artificial rubber was apparently produced as well.

Mike Brock

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Thomas Birkett

Produced by Continental Carbon

Tom

Thomas N. Birkett, PE

Chief Engineer

Southwestern Tank Line, LLC

While traveling to and from a higher education at Oklahoma State University in the second half of the 1960s I remember seeing numbers of carbon black cars at Ponca City, Oklahoma. I can not tell you if the product was being produced or consumed at that location.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

> On Jan 24, 2014, at 2:10 PM, "Mike Brock" wrote:
>
> Bill Keene says:
>
> "I do not know if any carbon black was produced in the Kansas City area. But
> I can add that it was produced in Borger, Texas, by Phillips Petroleum
> Company and could have been transferred from the ATSF to MILW at Kansas
> City."
>
> I don't know if it was moved through Kansas City but I can vouch for it
> being produced in Borger since I was there [ 1942/3 to be exact ].
> Interesting stuff. The brush was coated with it or from the black smoke from
> the plants. Artificial rubber was apparently produced as well.
>
> Mike Brock

> Yahoo Groups Links

Thomas Birkett

Interesting that at one time the carbon black came out of the "Philblack" plant on the Santa Fe and went to the Rock Island at Amarillo to move east. Maybe to Kansas City from the MILW. Old heads told me about how the Atchison complained about getting short hauled (possible in the pre Staggers Act era) until someone did the math and found that their revenue per mile was better than most anything else on the system and they shut up
Tom

Thomas N. Birkett, PE