Topics

Carbon black hopper reweigh

Bruce Smith

Folks,

I'm finally finishing my RailShops Carbon Black covered hopper. I'm planning on lettering it for United Carbon Company (UCBX) for a pre-WWII built car using Mount Vernon Shops decals. Those decals and the photos in both the Mainline Modeler and RMJ articles on these cars show NEW stencils almost exclusively. Since I model 1944, that car will need to be reweighed. I realize that a car could be reweighed by any road when due, but typically, the home shops tried to get that done. Any idea of where (and the scale code) these UCBX hoppers were reweighed?

I also noticed a few photos where there does not appear to be a reweigh. Were these cars ever not subject to the reweigh requirements?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Guy Wilber

Bruce Smith wrote:

“Since I model 1944, that car will need to be reweighed. I realize that a car could be reweighed by any road when due, but typically, the home shops tried to get that done. Any idea of where (and the scale code) these UCBX hoppers were reweighed?”

The July, 1945 ORER lists the following home points for United Carbon Company:  Borger, Texas; Indiana Harbor, Indiana; Kosmos, Texas; Milton, Pennsylvania; Sanford, Texas; Sheerin, Texas; Stinnett, Texas; Sunray, Texas; United, Texas.

I also noticed a few photos where there does not appear to be a reweigh. Were these cars ever not subject to the reweigh requirements?”

Prior to 1947 Type LO cars were not specifically called out within the reweigh rules; Interchange Rule 30 and Car Service Rule 11.  The reweigh interval was 30 months once the classification was added to the existing list.  This may have been a factor regarding the lack of reweigh stenciling within the photos, though I would be skeptical.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

John Barry

Bruce,

The Oct 43 ORER includes Sayre, OK with the July, 1945 ORER listing of home points for United Carbon Company:  Borger, Texas; Indiana Harbor, Indiana; Kosmos, Texas; Milton, Pennsylvania; Sanford, Texas; Sheerin, Texas; Stinnett, Texas; Sunray, Texas; United, Texas. The Oct 44 listing is identical with the July 45 list.

Given that most of the homepoints are at oil producing locations in Texas and the Santa Fe location (on the Panhandle & Santa Fe) at Borger had no track scale, I suspect the stations on the Rock didn't either.  I posit that General American handled the heavy maintenance for United Carbon at their Milton, PA plant.

What we don't know from the ORERs is the destination points for the LO's.  Given that the origins didn't likely have the ability to weigh empties, United Carbon probably either routed cars due through Milton or requested weighing after unloading at the customer.  That means a scale near your favorite rubber manufacturer or GATC at Milton as your most likely reweigh stencils.

The roads serving the homepoints are in the attachment extracted from the April 1944 list of open and pre-pay stations.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA