Topics

Cardox dry ice cars

Richard Townsend

Does anyone know what kind of roof and what kind of ends were on the Cardox dry ice cars in the CDCX 100-122 series? I suspect diagonal panel roofs and 1/3/4 or 4/4 ends, but I'm hoping to get some authoritative information.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Tim O'Connor

The roof appears to be rectangular panel. Can't tell what the ends are.
Tim

On 3/3/2021 5:32 PM, Richard Townsend via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of roof and what kind of ends were on the Cardox dry ice cars in the CDCX 100-122 series? I suspect diagonal panel roofs and 1/3/4 or 4/4 ends, but I'm hoping to get some authoritative information.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sterling, Massachusetts

ROGER HINMAN

The Cardox cars were ex NYC 40’ boxcars with special inserts and new doors applied; I don’t have the NYC boxcar lot number handy but the ends are 5-5; there’s a photo of CDCX 101 on p 218 of my MDT book that clearly shows the end

Roger Hinman

On Mar 3, 2021, at 8:43 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The roof appears to be rectangular panel. Can't tell what the ends are.
Tim

On 3/3/2021 5:32 PM, Richard Townsend via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of roof and what kind of ends were on the Cardox dry ice cars in the CDCX 100-122 series? I suspect diagonal panel roofs and 1/3/4 or 4/4 ends, but I'm hoping to get some authoritative information.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sterling, Massachusetts <cdcx_106 40ft_reefer CardoxDryIceLiquid 1956.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

Here are the NYC box cars with 5/5 ends. Some others were rebuilt as insulated box cars.
The only other ones to receive the Early Bird logo.

NYC series 159000-159999 blt 1944 DSI 734-B
NYC series 161000-161999 blt 1945 DSI 735-B