CB&Q Intermountain 10’ 6” boxcar questions

Charlie Duckworth

I was at House of Trains yesterday and picked up an Intermountain CB&Q kit for $10. Dave’s been buying collections and his prices are very reasonable.  Lots of CB&T boxcars were there as well

This is the 10’ 6” high car with 5/5 ends.  In the Culotta/Kline freight car book there’s a photo of 32611 with eight rung ladders and 5/5 ends and a shot of 17022 in the recent color freight car book also with an eight rung ladder so I assume my 33027 should also have an eight rung ladder vs what’s supplied in the kit.

My second question is the roof color, or lack of.  The color image of 17022 has an unpainted roof (except the ribs appear to be painted). Would that also apply to 33027 or was the roof painted?

 Thanks
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Here’s the $10 kit finished, roof toned down with brown and black dry pigments, a little brown also run down the rivet seams and white oils below the door to denote a few broken flour sacks while in transit.  Did the Q paint the roof walks?

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Nelson Moyer

Nice looking car, but the two rivet heads on the bolster tabs reveal it as a fake. No bowtie. Don’t feel bad, Charlie, I use the Intermountain body as the basis for three CB&Q XM-32A cars, and I didn’t remove and replace the rivets, either. Most don’t know or care.

Nelson Moyer

Here’s the $10 kit finished, roof toned down with brown and black dry pigments, a little brown also run down the rivet seams and white oils below the door to denote a few broken flour sacks while in transit.  Did the Q paint the roof walks?

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Nelson
Here’s two images of the 40’ Q boxcars are you saying the top one should be the pattern on the model?  Appreciate the feedback.  How about the roof walk; painted or unpainted?
 Thanks
Charlie

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

nyc3001 .

I can't answer the question about the roofwalk, but the Q XM-32s had the rivet pattern on the left. You'll also notice that the bolster ends are shaped differently on the prototype. The RCW kit models this well, I'm thinking of how to reproduce it on my IM CB&Q car.

-Phil

Paul Doggett

Nice work Charlie it looks really good.

Paul Doggett.      England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 21 May 2022, at 21:38, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Here’s the $10 kit finished, roof toned down with brown and black dry pigments, a little brown also run down the rivet seams and white oils below the door to denote a few broken flour sacks while in transit.  Did the Q paint the roof walks?
C575C605-52F3-442C-81D4-F4432929FEA5.jpeg1DF83179-27F5-4135-BA2C-AEF81F5C1B26.jpeg
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Nelson Moyer

CB&Q XM-32 boxcars with ABCDEF variants were built between 1940 and 1958, so there are many differences among cars in this series. I would refer anyone modeling any of these cars to Burlington Bulletin No. 7 as the best single reference. This is supplemented by three articles in Mainline Modeler written by Jerry Hamsmith (one coauthored with Ed Rethwisch) in the September 1993, June 1994, and March 1996 issues.

Variations included trucks, handbrakes, doors, running boards, ladders, etc. Variations occurred between classes and within classes (trucks, handbrakes, and doors), so it’s necessary to know all of the prototype information for the specific car number you wish to model.

CB&Q first used steel running boards for the XM-32A class built between 1945 and 1948.

Roofs and running boards were painted on the XM-32 series cars, but the paint didn’t last long on the running boards. Steel running boards weren’t painted, but the roofs sere painted. Paint failure on the roof depended on age of the car you’re modeling. Caveat - I model 1953, so my knowledge base ends there.

I used the Intermountain shell as the basis for three XM-32A cars, and I have attached my constructions notes with other relevant background material. Ironically, I don’t have a photo of a car in the 33000-33749 series except the photo of 33140 in BB#7 page 7.

Nelson Moyer