CB&Q XM-32 box cars

Clark Propst

I picked these two box cars up from a late friend’s collection. Both are RTR. This 'class' of box cars had a long run and many changes took place over time. I have the Q bulletin on these cars, but I, at least, don't think it was written with the modeler in mind.  With the help of Nelson Moyer I was able to more accurately portray these models. The 17ooo series is by Branchline Trains and only needed it’s trucks replaced. This car would be super new at the time I model. The 32ooo series is an Intermountain car, which because of it’s generic nature needed to have several detail parts replaced. For something different I weathered the model with tinted Dullcote and colored pencils. I’ll talk about these cars in more detail during the next HS2020 meet.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

O Fenton Wells

Looking good Clark. What SC II paint do you recommend?
Fenton

On May 19, 2021, at 11:51 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I picked these two box cars up from a late friend’s collection. Both are RTR. This 'class' of box cars had a long run and many changes took place over time. I have the Q bulletin on these cars, but I, at least, don't think it was written with the modeler in mind.  With the help of Nelson Moyer I was able to more accurately portray these models. The 17ooo series is by Branchline Trains and only needed it’s trucks replaced. This car would be super new at the time I model. The 32ooo series is an Intermountain car, which because of it’s generic nature needed to have several detail parts replaced. For something different I weathered the model with tinted Dullcote and colored pencils. I’ll talk about these cars in more detail during the next HS2020 meet.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa
<CB_Q XM-32s.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

The 17415 is a 10-0 1937 model, but the prototype was a 10-6 postwar.

On 5/19/2021 11:51 AM, Clark Propst wrote:
I picked these two box cars up from a late friend’s collection. Both are RTR. This 'class' of box cars had a long run and many changes took place over time. I have the Q bulletin on these cars, but I, at least, don't think it was written with the modeler in mind.  With the help of Nelson Moyer I was able to more accurately portray these models. The 17ooo series is by Branchline Trains and only needed it’s trucks replaced. This car would be super new at the time I model. The 32ooo series is an Intermountain car, which because of it’s generic nature needed to have several detail parts replaced. For something different I weathered the model with tinted Dullcote and colored pencils. I’ll talk about these cars in more detail during the next HS2020 meet.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Attachments:

_

Sterling, Massachusetts

gtws00

Nicely done Clark!
George Toman

Clark Propst

Fenton, the cars were RTR, so I did not paint them.

Tim, the 17415 is a Branchline Blueprint series with R-3-4 ends.
Clark Propst

Nelson Moyer

Tim, the CB&Q XM-32B class cars in series 17000-18399 were built in 1950. See Mainline modeler March 1996, page 71. I’m not familiar with the Branchlne car body, and Clark didn’t post an end view, but these cars had ten panel sides, improved 4-3-1 Dreadnaught ends, diagonal panel roof with steel running board and improved Youngstown doors.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Steve and Barb Hile

What stands out in the picture is that the later (1950) car appears about 6 inches shorter than the earlier car.  If the Branchline car is a 10’0” IH car that is probably the reason for the difference.

On the other hand, the Branchline car seems to be riding a bit lower, too.

Steve Hile

[...]

Richard Townsend

I think it’s that one car is sitting lower on its trucks.

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 06:23 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

What stands out in the picture is that the later (1950) car appears about 6 inches shorter than the earlier car.  If the Branchline car is a 10’0” IH car that is probably the reason for the difference.

On the other hand, the Branchline car seems to be riding a bit lower, too.

Steve Hile

Riding high !

Clark says in his message that car #32452 is an Intermountain car. If the bolster has not been modified, that's why it is riding high. Shows up at the coupler too. Not that the Branchline car is a shorter car.

Dan Smith

Tim O'Connor

Nelson

I was just looking at the height difference in the cars, which is quite noticeable! I agree with you
that if 17145 has R+3/4 ends then it's the Blueprint model which is the correct body. Either one of
the models is too high, or the other is too low.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/19/2021 8:57 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

[...]

Leave it to the Hawkeye's on this group to pick out the height discrepancy  ;  )) These are RTR cars that the previous owner ran, so I never paid any attention. Was more interested in correcting the 'spotting features'. I did replace the trucks under both cars. I will have to address this issue.

All in all it's a good learning tool.

Clark Propst

Clark Propst

I made some height adjustments. Here's a new photo.
Clark

Richard Townsend

That's more better!

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I made some height adjustments. Here's a new photo.
Clark

Tim O'Connor

perfect! :-)

On 5/21/2021 1:09 PM, Clark Propst wrote:
I made some height adjustments. Here's a new photo.
Clark

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Nelson Moyer

While it may sting at first, I think gentle constructive criticism could be more common for model photos posted to io groups. Too often, responders to posted model photo call cars ‘great’ when in fact they’re not so ‘great’. As long as comments are constructive, I appreciate hearing about issues with my models that I may have overlooked. Sometimes, I see defects after posting photos that I missed before, but sometimes I’m oblivious to defects, or  I didn’t know enough about a prototype to model a car correctly. Since this is the RealSTMFC group, maybe the comments should actually be real.

I think all of us desire to improve our modeling skills, and what better way to achieve that than to receive honest feedback, whether that feedback is outstanding, good, or needs some additional work. It might not be possible to rectify a problem after a model is finished, e.g. a paint job what trapped lots of dust and lint, the lesson could be to find a way to clean up a dusty painting environment, check relative humidity before painting, and protect painted models until the paint is dry. Lessons learned from failure are the most valuable lessons, since they provide strong incentive to get it right next time.

The high overall modeling skill of several modelers in io groups may intimidate less experienced modelers from sharing their work. If those modelers want to learn and improve their skill , what better way than to submit their work for peer review.

Nelson Moyer

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:09 AM, Clark Propst wrote:
I made some height adjustments. Here's a new photo.
Clark
But which one :-)

Dan Smith

Clark Propst

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:38 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:09 AM, Clark Propst wrote:
I made some height adjustments. Here's a new photo.
Clark
But which one :-)

Dan Smith

Both! I placed a red washer under the BLT car and filed the bolster down on the IM car.
Clark

Schuyler Larrabee

LOTS more better!  😊

Schuyler