From: Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...>
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Mar 3, 2020 7:39 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Central of Georgia Boxcar Series Help

Could someone who has a ORER from November 1957 or later please tell me the number series that the boxcar CG 8734 was included in?

I am considering renumbering the Kadee part number 5216 boxcar to backdate it to 1955 so any advice on the suitability of this car for that project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Cain

Todd Horton

These were the last new 40’ cars purchased by the Central in 1957.  They were different in that they were delivered in a brown color as opposed to the more common freight car red.  These cars also had black ends that were missed on the Kadee model.      As far as back dating them to 1955 I have no suggestions because the next large batch of cars before that were delivered in 1953 with a monogram only and no “ Right Way” lettering.  Kadee did this car as well and it’s in the more common FCR paint color.       Todd Horton

On Mar 4, 2020, at 1:20 AM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io <richtownsend@...> wrote:

8300-8799 January 1958 ORER

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Could someone who has a ORER from November 1957 or later please tell me the number series that the boxcar CG 8734 was included in?

I am considering renumbering the Kadee part number 5216 boxcar to backdate it to 1955 so any advice on the suitability of this car for that project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Cain

Tim O'Connor

Charles R Lange photo

On 3/4/2020 6:36 AM, Todd Horton via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Allen Cain

Thanks Tim for the excellent photo.

Can anyone tell me when CG first used "The Right Way" slogan on their boxcars?

And a special thanks to Ed Hawkins who has furnished more information than this old head can assimilate!

Allen Cain

O Fenton Wells

I thought it was 1952 but not sure about that, should check with C of G HS. They would certainly know
Fenton

On Mar 4, 2020, at 5:03 PM, Allen Cain <allencaintn@...> wrote:

Thanks Tim for the excellent photo.

Can anyone tell me when CG first used "The Right Way" slogan on their boxcars?

And a special thanks to Ed Hawkins who has furnished more information than this old head can assimilate!

Allen Cain

Todd Horton

The Central started using “ The Right Way” lettering in 1954 on freight cars. The 50’ black and silver “blimp” cars were the first to have this.  The slogan was used earlier on some diesel locomotives and cabooses before this date.      Todd Horton