Topics

Central Valley Stock Car Roof Ideas


Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Friends,

I've been toying with some parts and unfinished kits in my stash this evening. I have little use for the Central Valley NP stock car kit, but have been examining the arched roof for possible use on other projects. The roof is rather wide at its extreme overhang, but the distance of 9 scale feet over the two ridges that project down into the car body is very close to the width on Red Caboose or Intermountain roofs AAR roofs I have in my stash. The stock car kits ends are a very close match in width to the ends on the F&C 1932 steel boxcar. I'm thinking the stock car roof might work for one of the C&O ARA boxcars that had radial roofs. The overhang might be trimmed back, or I could slice it down the middle and after some file work put the pieces back together. New ribs I suppose, but that's not all that difficult.

And what to do with the rest of the stock car? Well, it might get me chased off this group, but I might be able to drop an Intermountain roof onto the stock car body to make a freelanced car for my Virginia Midland. 

Comments, suggestions, other possible projects (I have two of the stock car kits; sorry, but I don't want to sell them at this time).

As if I don't have enough unfinished projects.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff  🦆


Dennis Storzek
 

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 04:53 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Comments, suggestions, other possible projects (I have two of the stock car kits; sorry, but I don't want to sell them at this time).
 
Garth,
The problem is it's an excellent model of a very rare roof, which means it's easy to identify where it DOESN'T belong, which is most everywhere. The roof was patented by a Mr. Robertson, Master Car Builder for the Northern Pacific and he attempted to market it, but to my knowledge The Soo Line was the only road to buy. This is NOT a solid steel roof, but rather an outside metal roof designed to be supported by wood sheathing; in fact the details of the sheathing are the gist of the patent, the metal is only an incidental covering. The feature that gives this away are the cast clasps at the end of the seam caps, which were attached by screws to a wood fascia. The NP used this roof on numerous classes of box, stock, and refrigerator cars. The Soo used it on four groups of their distinctive "sawtooth" boxcars, and ten milk cars that look like express reefers. That's it. It doesn't really belong on any all steel car; too early.

Dennis Storzek
 


O Fenton Wells
 

Dennis, is the Central Valley roof the Cambra steel roof?  I've been wanting to do the DT&I rebuilt boxcar that used this roof.
Fenton

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 8:33 PM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 04:53 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Comments, suggestions, other possible projects (I have two of the stock car kits; sorry, but I don't want to sell them at this time).
 
Garth,
The problem is it's an excellent model of a very rare roof, which means it's easy to identify where it DOESN'T belong, which is most everywhere. The roof was patented by a Mr. Robertson, Master Car Builder for the Northern Pacific and he attempted to market it, but to my knowledge The Soo Line was the only road to buy. This is NOT a solid steel roof, but rather an outside metal roof designed to be supported by wood sheathing; in fact the details of the sheathing are the gist of the patent, the metal is only an incidental covering. The feature that gives this away are the cast clasps at the end of the seam caps, which were attached by screws to a wood fascia. The NP used this roof on numerous classes of box, stock, and refrigerator cars. The Soo used it on four groups of their distinctive "sawtooth" boxcars, and ten milk cars that look like express reefers. That's it. It doesn't really belong on any all steel car; too early.

Dennis Storzek
 



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...


Benjamin Hom
 

Fenton Wells asked:
"...is the Central Valley roof the Cambra steel roof?  I've been wanting to do the DT&I rebuilt boxcar that used this roof."

It is not.  The DT&I cars have fewer carlines with different profiles from the Central Valley roof.


Ben Hom


 


Dennis Storzek
 

No. The Hutchins Camber Roof is a all steel roof with rather prominent seam caps:



The CV part models what modelers have been calling the NP "circular" roof. Here's the Soo Line version:




The seam caps are tiny.

Dennis Storzek


O Fenton Wells
 

Thanks Dennis, I had not seen a top down shot of the Cambria roof.  So CP had them as well as DT&I.  I'm going to try to make one and without drawings it will be a nod, nod Wink Wink version but I know as soon as I take it to a meet someone will say I have that drawing, you should have asked!!
If you know of a drawing let me know.
Fenton

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 10:04 AM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
No. The Hutchins Camber Roof is a all steel roof with rather prominent seam caps:



The CV part models what modelers have been calling the NP "circular" roof. Here's the Soo Line version:




The seam caps are tiny.

Dennis Storzek



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...