Topics

Certainly a "Steam Era" freight car!

George Eichelberger

While looking for Bucyrus cranes on flat cars, I re-discovered the attached photo of L&N MoW flat 41839 in a pile driver outfit 5-17-70 at Atlanta. (low res version attached)

It is from the Southern Railway Historical Assoc archives, Oscar Kimsey, Jr collection. (One of 459 items in Oscar's L&N MoW file). Of all the Southeastern railroads, the L&N may have some of the oddest, home-built MoW equipment.

Ike

Jon Miller

On 1/3/2020 9:53 AM, George Eichelberger wrote:
(low res version attached)

    I still can't open these but if I transfer to the desktop and then open it works.  Might have something to do with the low res version.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bob Webber

At 11:57 AM 1/3/2020, you wrote:
On 1/3/2020 9:53 AM, George Eichelberger wrote:

(low res version attached)

    I still can't open these but if I transfer to the desktop and then open it works.  Might have something to do with the low res version.

Doubtful.  More likely file associations & actions within your mail client, browser and PC/Mac.  Esp. true when using web client e-mail (such as gmail via Firefox - Firefox & Gmail esp. do not always play nice as they attempt to rectify e-mail gaffes of the past (in security).  Gmail changes their secure certificate server address weekly (some clients pick up open it and trust implicitly, some (like Eudora) are older and must be modified to make the change explicitly.   Firefox has required various settings to change as they attempt to close some holes and Microsoft attempts (not at all successfully) to close their OS holes and requirements.

Apple has its own issues, contrary what you might have heard (the very first virus in the wild targeted (and worked on) Apples.  Their proprietary software and platform does lend itself to  fewer issues simply by requiring everyone to play nicely (as Apple sees it) - both with benefits and negatives.  Not having one recently to play with, I can't say what the settings might be..

JPGs, depending upon the tool used to create the "low res" version are typically transportable across platforms.   When it opens on the desktop but not from e-mail, it is most likely due to the OS/Browser/Client file options issues.  Looking at event logs would clarify things  more than a little bit.  There are multiple variants of jpgs (and tifs) - different tools and applications will/may process them differently.

The underpinnings of Thunderbird / Mozilla / Firefox are such that each uses an excuse of "less secure" software against each other.   Check this out:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail
And verify settings and options for openign file types.

Bob Webber

Jon Miller

On 1/3/2020 10:28 AM, Bob Webber wrote:
JPGs, depending upon the tool used to create the "low res" version are typically transportable across platforms.

Win10, paint.net (set for all JPGs), Thunderbird for email (regular size JPGs seems to have no problem from Thunderbird but lately I have been getting some marked low res.  These don't open, while on the next email a regular (not low res) JPGs will open just fine!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jon Miller

On 1/3/2020 10:28 AM, Bob Webber wrote:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail
And verify settings and options for openign file types.

Not sure what Thunderbird 38 is?  My setting is automatic update.  Under help it says my "version?" is 68.3.1 (32 bit)

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Steven D Johnson

Ike,

Thanks for that photo!  I certainly agree with your statement that L&N had some of the oddest, home-built MofW equipment.

In the Morning Sun Books L&N Color Guide, Volume 2, page 87, there is a shot of this same car at Mobile, AL, in July 1968.  The flat car/low side gondola portion was painted “boxcar red,” while the “steam engine” was painted black.

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

While looking for Bucyrus cranes on flat cars, I re-discovered the attached photo of L&N MoW flat 41839 in a pile driver outfit 5-17-70 at Atlanta. (low res version attached)

It is from the Southern Railway Historical Assoc archives, Oscar Kimsey, Jr collection. (One of 459 items in Oscar's L&N MoW file). Of all the Southeastern railroads, the L&N may have some of the oddest, home-built MoW equipment.

Ike

mofwcaboose

Several other railroads, notably the MP and subsidiaries, had similar cars. They were "weed scalders", used for weed control.

The L&N car is more likely used either to supply steam to a pile driver whose own boiler has been condemned, or, more likely, to supply steam to the hammer being used on a diesel pile driver or locomotive crane. Diesel hammers appeared  in the US around 1953 but were not much accepted at first, and a number of diesel cranes swinging a set of pile driver leads towed a car such as this to  supply steam for the steam hammer.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

While looking for Bucyrus cranes on flat cars, I re-discovered the attached photo of L&N MoW flat 41839 in a pile driver outfit 5-17-70 at Atlanta. (low res version attached)

It is from the Southern Railway Historical Assoc archives, Oscar Kimsey, Jr collection. (One of 459 items in Oscar's L&N MoW file). Of all the Southeastern railroads, the L&N may have some of the oddest, home-built MoW equipment.

Ike

Steven D Johnson

An article in the August 1963 issue of L&N’s company magazine shows this very car working with an L&N pile hammer-equipped crane in the rebuilding of a bridge over the Tensas River near Mobile, AL.  The tender assigned to this car was no. 40694, from L&N K-5 Pacific no. 268.

Steve Johnson