Topics

CGW 1923 Box Cars

golden1014

Gentlemen,

I was going through RP Cyc No. 18 last night and was surprised to read that CGW 1923 ARA single-sheathed box cars came in at least two varieties.  I read that a whole series of cars was delivered with Murphy roofs and 7-8 Murphy ends.  However, one of the photos referenced of the series with Murphy roofs seems to show a car with a round roof.

Are there any CGW experts on board that can confirm if CGW indeed had a series of cars with 7-8 ends and Murphys roofs?

If this is true, a simple roof replacement on the F&C model will yield a nice CGW car at a reasonable prices (not Sunshine prices).

Thanks a Bunch,

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

RPM Blog: https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/

Ray Breyer

Looking through their 1923 and 1932 diagram books, all of the CGW's single sheathed boxcars (except for their 1914-built Fowlers) had radial roofs. That's confirmed by the few photos I have of their single sheathed cars.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 11:04:30 AM CST, golden1014 via Groups.Io <golden1014@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

I was going through RP Cyc No. 18 last night and was surprised to read that CGW 1923 ARA single-sheathed box cars came in at least two varieties.  I read that a whole series of cars was delivered with Murphy roofs and 7-8 Murphy ends.  However, one of the photos referenced of the series with Murphy roofs seems to show a car with a round roof.

Are there any CGW experts on board that can confirm if CGW indeed had a series of cars with 7-8 ends and Murphys roofs?

If this is true, a simple roof replacement on the F&C model will yield a nice CGW car at a reasonable prices (not Sunshine prices).

Thanks a Bunch,

John Golden
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany

RPM Blog: https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/

David

Both CGW series had the "Murphy" radial roof, which is very similar to the Hutchins radial roof except for lacking the indentations in the corners of the seam caps.

David Thompson