Topics

CHALK MARKS QUESTION #2

Frank Grimm <fddms@...>

  Here is a photo of a limestone shopper with tare wts and load wts. (Limestone, IL)

Frank Grimm
Sandwich,IL

Bruce Smith

Frank,

These numbers may be weights, but there are some issues. Starting left top going down each column, we see values going from just over 400,000 to 1 million, and then suddenly back down and slowly back up, then suddenly down and up to 1.1 million.  I also note what seem to be a fair number of “typos” where it appears that a digit gets left off, such as in the 3rd column, 726,800 followed by 88,800, followed by 828,572… that middle number seems like it ought to be 788,800. But it happens so often that it is not clear if there is a system to it, or if it really is an error.

Given the the Lt. Wt. is on the side of the car, none of these should be “tare wts”. Indeed, the “tare wt.” of the car should not change from 414,572 to 38,572!  Even if that latter measure is an error and it is near the next measure which is 322,922, there is no way the tare wt changes by that much!

In addition, 400,000, if it is lbs, is 200 tons! 1 million is 500 tons!  These are not load weight in lbs. If it weren’t for the impossible numbers, it might be that this car was being sequentially loaded at say a truck dump and these were the load weights of each truck until the car reached capacity and then, when the car hits roughly 1 million it gets emptied. But they aren’t… at least not in lbs and a single car. It is possible that these are load weights for a string of cars.  I would add that the car is unlikely to be weighed each time. More likely, if these were weights, these are weights for the truckloads being dumped as measure on the truck scale.

So, I’m not sure what you have shown us a picture of.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Nov 15, 2018, at 6:15 AM, Frank Grimm via Groups.Io <fddms@...> wrote:

  Here is a photo of a limestone shopper with tare wts and load wts. (Limestone, IL)

Frank Grimm
Sandwich,IL

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 07:13 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
So, I’m not sure what you have shown us a picture of.

The switchman's method of picking lotto numbers. :-)

Dennis

Todd Sullivan

I think all those numbers scribbled in chalk are likely car numbers.  A few of them at in the same series as the car in the photo.  Could be that a yard clerk go caught short in the yard without a clipboard or list, and just used the car side to capture all the numbers on a train or transfer.

Todd Sullivan