Topics

Charging Ladles on flat cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

http://www.ejearchive.com/index.php?/albums/official-loads/content/co-loads-321/lightbox/

Group;

I went back into my photos, and yes, these are charging ladles.  From their size, they are for a full-size steel-making facility.  My guess is USS Gary Works.

They do appear to have those cross tie-downs that make good modeling.

These are not the ladles you’d see in an open hearth complex, but more likely an electric arc or basic oxygen process (BOP) shop, due to the need to charge the furnace direct from these large ladles.

I do not see refractory in the ladles (also a great freight car load), so they can’t be modeled with some of the steel hobby models that already have it installed.

Why no one does a ladle load like this is beyond me.  These are a MUST for anyone modeling a RR or branch serving a steel mill.

Elden Gatwood

Jim Betz

Elden,
  Your last sentence implies that the ladles are a "consumable" that gets replaced
fairly often ... ?
                                                    - Jim

Allen Rueter

They need to be relined from time to time.

-- Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 01:40:10 PM CST, Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

Elden,
  Your last sentence implies that the ladles are a "consumable" that gets replaced
fairly often ... ?
                                                    - Jim

Tim O'Connor

I have photos of single ladle loads of different types. But every once in a great while you might
see something like this photo shows! :-D

On 12/22/2020 2:13 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

David Smith

Love how the closest one in Tim’s photo had its spout labeled. Just in case that wasn’t obvious?

What are the ladles in the background, loaded upside down?

Dave