Topics

Chasing five dollars and fifeteen cents.

np328

    Here is another file I found concerning billing, and copies of waybills.  Presented not to make fun of accountants. However I have to wonder how much time and labor was expended here.
And of the thought that in the 1950's, five dollars was worth a lot more.
This collection of paperwork has "detention" listed several times so it must have been a somewhat common term.
     Also note that the reefer makes several stops here. Is there anyone who has modeled that?
From NP files found at the Minnesota Historical Society. ( After I die, I hope some day to have my ashes spread in the NP files at the MHS and then maybe, I can get in some real research time.)
Again presented for your education or amusement.                                                                                             Jim Dick - Roseville, MN

Tony Thompson

Jim Dick wrote:

This collection of paperwork has "detention" listed several times so it must have been a somewhat common term.

      Reading the correspondence, about a reefer spotted for unloading, the "detention" sounds like a demurrage topic.

     Also note that the reefer makes several stops here. Is there anyone who has modeled that?

      The retired PFE Car Service Manager I interviewed stated that partial unloadings were rare in his experience, but that was the produce business. I have heard it was fairly common in the meat business.

Tony Thompson

Drew Bunn

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:32 PM Jim Dick wrote:

> Reading the correspondence, about a reefer spotted for unloading, the "detention" sounds like a demurrage topic.

     Basically. In the trucking world "detention charges" are what we bill the Receiver for excessive unloading time. I'll give you 2 hours to unload my trailer, after that it's $100/hour to keep me waiting around and tying up my equipment.. so get movin'.
__________________________________
Drew Bunn

drew.r.bunn@...

Cell - (905) 483-0758

Tim O'Connor

Jim that is awesome!! And they did it all without computers or email - or evidently
even the phone! I would never have thought a load of CORN in a reefer would be partially
unloaded in one place and then sent on to another destination. It makes me wonder what
the threshold for payment disputes was before the case went to a PUC or the ICC. =-O

On 11/12/2019 10:08 PM, np328 wrote:
    Here is another file I found concerning billing, and copies of waybills.  Presented not to make fun of accountants. However I have to wonder how much time and labor was expended here.
And of the thought that in the 1950's, five dollars was worth a lot more.
This collection of paperwork has "detention" listed several times so it must have been a somewhat common term.
     Also note that the reefer makes several stops here. Is there anyone who has modeled that?
From NP files found at the Minnesota Historical Society. ( After I die, I hope some day to have my ashes spread in the NP files at the MHS and then maybe, I can get in some real research time.)
Again presented for your education or amusement.                                                                                             Jim Dick - Roseville, MN

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts