Topics

circa 1946 freight car images

john oseida

There was a recently concluded eBay listing that had a number of images that might be of interest to the group including one of those not often photographed poultry cars:

Regards,

John Oseida
Oakville, ON

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 2:06:52 p.m. EDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Thanks Drew for the clarification. I'd love to see this done. It seems to be an
almost forgotten art at least for HO models.

On 4/4/2020 11:35 AM, Drew wrote:

Tim,
   I worked in a prototype model during my high school years. We used lost wax a few times. First a master is made and a mold made off that master, the mold was usually RTV rubber. Wax was poured in to that mold to make a second master which did shrink a bit. That wax master was then placed in foundry sand and hot metal poured in to the sand mold. The wax melted/vaporized and metal took its place, hence the name lost wax. It's been 20 years since I last did that but I do recall there was a bit of shrinkage in each step.

Drew Marshall in Philly, PA

Modeling the pre-Depression years.

Sent from TypeApp
On Apr 4, 2020, at 09:15, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

As I recall, all Cal-Scale detail components were OVERSIZE because they were used
for lost wax casting! In that process the plastic parts are for the molds and are
destroyed in the casting process, and the shrinkage produces parts that are closer
to scale.

Or am I wrong? :-)

On 4/4/2020 9:00 AM, Lester Breuer wrote:

A comparison of several manufacturers’ model brake component measurements to Westinghouse prototype brake component measurements prepared by George Toman was sent to me for my use.  I asked George to share his measurements comparison on my blog.  If you are interested in the  comparison measurements, they are now available on my blog I have to share photos and writeup of projects on my Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company. If would like to take a look please do at the following link:

http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Lester Breuer

Sterling, Massachusetts

Sterling, Massachusetts

John Larkin

For a fan of details, note the single handhold on the first car versus the double handhold on the second.  These are two otherwise similar (in gross detail) cars and the picture is a great way to show the sometimes minor differences off.

John Larkin

On 4/4/2020 11:35 AM, Drew wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

And wouldn't that be a violation of the Safety Appliance regulations of the 1920's ??

I am amazed - thanks for pointing that out. The shop date is clear - dated 1950.

On 4/4/2020 11:35 AM, Drew wrote:
[...]

Eric Hansmann

The second handhold on the left end of the car sides became a practice in the early 1930s.

I model 1926 and I need to remove the second handhold detail from many resin and plastic models.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

And wouldn't that be a violation of the Safety Appliance regulations of the 1920's ??

I am amazed - thanks for pointing that out. The shop date is clear - dated 1950.

On 4/5/2020 2:14 PM, John Larkin via groups.io wrote:

For a fan of details, note the single handhold on the first car versus the double handhold on the second.  These are two otherwise similar (in gross detail) cars and the picture is a great way to show the sometimes minor differences off.

John Larkin

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 11:49:12 PM CDT, john oseida via groups.io <xseinc@...> wrote:

There was a recently concluded eBay listing that had a number of images that might be of interest to the group including one of those not often photographed poultry cars:

Eight (8) b&w negatives of Vintage Freight Cars (PFE & Western Union inc...

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Eight (8) b&w negatives of Vintage Freight Cars (P...

On 4/4/2020 11:35 AM, Drew wrote:

[...]

Tony Thompson

John Larkin wrote:

For a fan of details, note the single handhold on the first car versus the double handhold on the second.  These are two otherwise similar (in gross detail) cars and the picture is a great way to show the sometimes minor differences off.

     What's actually odd about the photo is that the cars carry the post-1946 paint scheme of PFE, with both railroad emblems on both sides, yet that single grab iron has not been updated to the two required, fully a decade earlier. In general, PFE shops were pretty vigilant about things like this, so the foreground car is a surprise.

Tony Thompson

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

A color photo of these two has made the rounds before.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni