mel perry

NICE DETAILING
mel perry

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020, 9:18 AM Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:
CMO 20040 Express Box

-Hudson

Joseph

Any thoughts on the trucks under this guy in HO scale?
Thx
Joe Binish
New Hope MN

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 11:18 AM Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:
CMO 20040 Express Box

-Hudson

Hudson Leighton

According to one source:

Originally equipped with Allied Full-Cushion trucks, and changed to the Commonwealth trucks seen in the photo sometime around the early '50s.

-Hudson

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 09:27 AM, Joseph wrote:
Any thoughts on the trucks under this guy in HO scale?
I can't tell what the top of the side frame looks like from the photo (too much shadow) but Tichy make a short wheelbase drop equalized truck that would fit:

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/trucks/p/3060/Default.aspx

Dennis Storzek

Hudson Leighton

Da Trucks

-Hudson

killercarp

Once you solve the truck problem there’s also the 10’6” high 5/5 square corner ends to vex a builder.

Tim VanMersbergen

Lloyd Keyser

The C&NW HS had a special run of these trucks made by Overland many years ago. Might check ebay . The brake system shown is a passenger UC brake system. Cal Scale AB300.
Lloyd Keyser

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:21 PM Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:
Da Trucks

-Hudson

steve_wintner

Nice thing about those trucks is the styrene sideframe. Easily modified. (Delrin bearings, styrene sideframe)

Tim O'Connor

The TICHY is a little too old, and the ATHEARN (attached) a little too modern?

Tim O'Connor

On 2/26/2020 1:58 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 09:27 AM, Joseph wrote:
Any thoughts on the trucks under this guy in HO scale?
I can't tell what the top of the side frame looks like from the photo (too much shadow) but Tichy make a short wheelbase drop equalized truck that would fit:

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/trucks/p/3060/Default.aspx

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Tim - solution is the SUNSHINE mini-kit which included those ends.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Rich C

Tim, I mentioned to Tim yesterday, that the ends were "W" corner not square and posted a link to Steam Era Freight Cars for the PDF on the modified height cars

Rich Christie

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

Wrong mini-kit. The one you want is the DSS&A box car with 10-6 5/5 S corner ends. :-)

I suggest using the ends as masters for making copies. Sunshine also made 10-6 4/5
S corner ends for the SP A-50-12 kit. Those are in my "to be copied" pile as well.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/27/2020 1:07 PM, Rich C via Groups.Io wrote:
Tim, I mentioned to Tim yesterday, that the ends were "W" corner not square and posted a link to Steam Era Freight Cars for the PDF on the modified height cars

Rich Christie

On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 11:35:27 AM CST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Tim - solution is the SUNSHINE mini-kit which included those ends.

On 2/26/2020 2:38 PM, killercarp via Groups.Io wrote:

> Once you solve the truck problem there’s also the 10’6” high 5/5
> square corner ends to vex a builder.
>
> Tim VanMersbergen

Sterling, Massachusetts

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

WB looks too long as well.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Feb 27, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The TICHY is a little too old, and the ATHEARN (attached) a little too modern?

Tim O'Connor

On 2/26/2020 1:58 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 09:27 AM, Joseph wrote:
Any thoughts on the trucks under this guy in HO scale?
I can't tell what the top of the side frame looks like from the photo (too much shadow) but Tichy make a short wheelbase drop equalized truck that would fit:

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/trucks/p/3060/Default.aspx

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts
<model ATHEARN commonwealth 8ft express truck.jpg>

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:32 AM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
WB looks too long as well.
Yeah, the boxcar underframe isn't modified, so still has the 5'-6" kingpin to striker dimension. When you look at the car, the wheel has more or less the same relationship to the car end as the old PRR X29s with their 5'-0" kingpin to striker, which would indicate the passenger truck wheelbase can't be longer than 6'-6". The Tichy trucks claim 6'-0", which may be a bit short. I wonder if these cars had 36" wheels?

In the photo the trucks appear to have separate bolt on pedestals, so the Tichy truck is correct for that feature, but even in the enhanced photo I can't really see the shape of the top of the frame.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

I got confused because I didn't know Athearn had TWO of these trucks!!

THIS (attached) is the express truck with the correct wheelbase - but it is a
more modern truck, without the pedestal ends and with roller bearings rather than
plain bearing journal boxes.

I have this Athearn truck because the SP applied them to BE-50-24 express cars,
albeit with shock absorbers and plain bearings. Modifications must be made. :-\

Tim

On 2/27/2020 2:13 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:32 AM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
WB looks too long as well.
Yeah, the boxcar underframe isn't modified, so still has the 5'-6" kingpin to striker dimension. When you look at the car, the wheel has more or less the same relationship to the car end as the old PRR X29s with their 5'-0" kingpin to striker, which would indicate the passenger truck wheelbase can't be longer than 6'-6". The Tichy trucks claim 6'-0", which may be a bit short. I wonder if these cars had 36" wheels?

In the photo the trucks appear to have separate bolt on pedestals, so the Tichy truck is correct for that feature, but even in the enhanced photo I can't really see the shape of the top of the frame.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Mark

Dennis and all,  the boxcar under-frame was modified in that the last cross members on each end were moved toward the center of the car to allow clearance for the 33" wheels on the 7'-0" wheelbase trucks that were salvaged from C&NW wooden milk cars. The trucks formerly offered by the C&NW HS are correct in both respects. The cars also had Viking roofs and LN brakes. Hope this helps.

Mark Feddersen

Denver, Iowa