Cocoa Beach 2022

Tim O'Connor

Any reports on the RPM meet? How did it go? Was it well attended? Any model photos?

Sterling, Massachusetts

Charlie Vlk

All-

It was well attended.

The clinics that I caught were all very well done except for one major clinker that was stumbling and incoherent.

In stark contrast, Dan Munson gave a clinic “Derailed!  Now What?” which was very informative, entertaining and probably one of the most professional presentations I have had the pleasure of attending.   I always wondered how railroaders view today’s contracted outside vendors vs. in-house forces from “back in the day”; from this clinic it looks like Hulcher and R.J. Corman provide very competent service quicker than railroads were able to do with their own forces and equipment.

The event organizers did an excellent job….after 23 years (??!!!) they have the machine very well oiled.

The venue was very pleasant…an older Hilton probably due for a major rehab but not threadbare or shoddy with pleasant staff, nice rooms and facilities.

The vendor participation was disappointing (especially for one company that was within a half hour drive of the meet!).

The model display seemed to be a little light given most everyone has been at home for a long time, but then I didn’t bring anything so can’t criticize.

A big plus was as we were driving on Thursday over the mountain to Chattanooga the weather was not far behind us….Nashville got 4-7 inches of snow and it was completely melted when we got home Sunday evening.  Cocoa Beach was sunny and in the low 70s.  It was a long drive (11 hours) but very worthwhile and I will make every effort to go in 2023!

Charlie Vlk