Topics

Color schemes, 1920ish Tank Cars

Jack Priller <Gndlfstram@...>

I am a new member on this list, and I have a question. I have a
couple balck-and-white pictures of tank card from approximately the
era I model, the late 20s. One of them [CO-OP] is described
as "aluminum with green lettering, and a red dome with a silver
stripe." Where can I find out what the shades of red and/or green
would have been? If it is in the archives, can someone give me the
thread name so I can find it? TIA

Jack Priller
Honorable Association of Good Guys and Irreverent Souls
"To comfort the afflicted, and to afflict the comfortable."

Richard Hendrickson

I am a new member on this list, and I have a question. I have a
couple balck-and-white pictures of tank card from approximately the
era I model, the late 20s. One of them [CO-OP] is described
as "aluminum with green lettering, and a red dome with a silver
stripe." Where can I find out what the shades of red and/or green
would have been?
That's a tough one, Jack. The Co-Op tank cars were gone long before any of
the rail photographers were shooting color, and it's anybody's guess what
the exact colors were. Based on the only photo I've ever seen of a Co-Op
car, I'd say the green was probably fairly dark and the red was probably a
medium red. I know that's not much help, but aside from that one photo
there's no documentation on Co-Op cars that I'm aware of.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Jack Priller <Gndlfstram@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:

That's a tough one, Jack. The Co-Op tank cars were gone long
before any of the rail photographers were shooting color, and it's
anybody's guess what the exact colors were. >

That's what I was afraid would be the case.

Based on the only photo I've ever seen of a Co-Op car, I'd say the
green was probably fairly dark and the red was probably a medium
red. I know that's not much help, but aside from that one photo
there's no documentation on Co-Op cars that I'm aware of.>

Those were my impressions of the 'shades' as well. Will just have to
give it my 'best shot' with the data available. Thanks.