Topics

Construction project documentation

Eric Hansmann

There are a couple more photos documenting the Millvale Avenue bridge project on the Historic Pittsburgh site. For each of these links, after the page opens click on the image. Once the image page opens, look for four small buttons in the upper left corner of the image and click on the far right button to make it full screen. Now you can zoom in on the details.

Here's an August 1926 image looking at the other side of the valley. This image inspired the paint and weathering of my Pennsy X26. This was a Pennsylvania Lines boxcar but Lines has been painted out. I model late 1926 and have found few 1920s images of these Pennsy USRA boxcars. The GR gondola is an added bonus.

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.261933.CP

We jump ahead to October 1927 for this view and the bridge is gone. We can see part of the Gulf Oil distribution facility to the left and a string of freight cars on the B&O tracks.

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.275224.CP

We jump once more to January 1928 and steel for the new bridge is going up. Modeling a construction project can generate an interesting mix of freight cars to the scene. We don't see any here, but there are other sites and photos that illustrate this.

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.285834.CP

Enjoy your coffee.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On February 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Thanks, Jack! That narrow valley was crammed with industry back then!

Elden Gatwood