Topics

Correction PRR Stock cars on Southern Pacific or Union Pacific tracks?

David North

Correction-

A friend has asked if PRR stock cars would have been seen on Southern Pacific  or Union Pacific tracks.

I would have thought no, but thought I’d check with you guys first, before replying to him.

He models 1954.

Cheers

Dave

Bruce Smith

Dave,

Never say never… UP and SP stock cars made their way onto PRR rails with some frequency. That is likely due to a shortage of cars at points like Chicago since through shipment of livestock did not happen due to rest requirements. It seems much less likely to happen going west off of PRR rails, with one big exception and that would be shipments of smaller numbers of specialized stock and horses. So could it happen? I’d say yes. Was it frequent? Probably not.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Feb 7, 2020, at 7:31 AM, David North <david.north@...> wrote:

Correction-
A friend has asked if PRR stock cars would have been seen on Southern Pacific  or Union Pacific tracks.
I would have thought no, but thought I’d check with you guys first, before replying to him.
He models 1954.
Cheers
Dave

Greg Martin

David,

Certainly, if you understand stock car movements. Stock cars were generally used to transport livestock to market and that is well understood; however, stock movements were also used to move livestock from feeding/grazing lands/ areas in order to fatten the stock for market, as in the case of cattle.

Railroads were always behind the curve with stock cars, thus the reason for the leasing of cars from companies like Mather.

So to see a brace of PRR cars on the UP or SP isn't likely but the occasional would certainly be acceptable in your modeling.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

Sent from AOL Desktop

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin

Dennis Storzek

The other possibility, pointed out by that photo of loading brick into a stockcar, is a non-livestock backhaul load. While brick typically didn't move far enough to get a PRR car on the SP, cut stone architectural l details could, as could terra cotta, both of which are weather resistant enough to travel in a stockcar. Remember, the car service rules allow a car to be loaded BEYOND its home district, provided the owner road participates in the move, so it is possible, if not likely.

Dennis Storzek

Douglas Harding

I have evidence of a PRR stockcar, either a K7 or K7A, being on the MSTL in Iowa. PRR 135263 was loaded with cattle at So St Paul, and shipped to Dallas Center IA on the MSTL, arriving on 8-8-1945. While this is not the SP or UP, it does show that PRR stockcars got west of the Mississippi.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Tim O'Connor

What was the date of the infamous KANSAS CITY FLOOD in the 1950's?? I recall that immediately
following the floods there was an ICC car service directive regarding stock cars that lasted for
a number of months during which eastern stock cars were seen all over the midwest. The aftermath
of the flood was covered in a major article in Trains magazine.

Denver also experienced massive flooding of the Platte river in the 1950's. Such events can cause
long lasting disruption to freight car service patterns. (A more recent catastrophe being the UP's
"meltdown" in the 1990's that spread like a virus from Texas to the entire US.)

Tim O'Connor

On 2/7/2020 8:31 AM, David North wrote:

Correction-

A friend has asked if PRR stock cars would have been seen on Southern Pacific  or Union Pacific tracks.

I would have thought no, but thought I’d check with you guys first, before replying to him.

He models 1954.

Cheers

Dave

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Keene

I think that the great flood in Kansas City was in 1951.

We lived in Kansas City at the time of the flood. My dad worked in the Phillips refinery and was away from the house for several days.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Feb 7, 2020, at 9:54 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I’ll pass your responses on to my friend.

Cheers

Dave