Topics

Cotton Belt dbl door rebuilt boxcar

Andy Carlson

My late friend Wayne Madison made this roof pattern for the SSW rebuilt box car.

It has a lot of additional material for what I can only figure must have been part of the rebuild process. Ed mentions that the rebuilt cars preceded the roof replacement by a year, or so. So what ever roof preceded the rectangular pattern steel replacement probably was already high in height which required the extensions for the new replacement steel roof.

The roof was also widened, which in hindsight may have been a wrong interpretation. Wayne and I were not certain, but we saw that the ends needed to be wider and that modification ended up making the IMWX steel roof too narrow. The joys of working with limited photos in the pre-good-old-days. The pair of prototypes show small brackets along the edge of the raised portion of the roof. I don't remember this from the time, so maybe not all roofs were treated this way.

When modeling, we often don't know what was going on, but the idea of following what we see in the photos is maybe all which we are going to get.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

  Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Hi Andy
The photo, when enlarged after a capture, is a bit fuzzy (!) but I’m curious about the roofs.  It appears that they wee raised above the top of the original sides.  There’s several ways to do this, but is that fact what I’m seeing?

Schuyler

  Inline image

 Inline image

Inline image

O Fenton Wells

Do you have that roof in resin?
Fenton

On Oct 23, 2020, at 6:20 PM, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

[...]

<image001.jpg>

<Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.59.13 PM.png>

<Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.59.58 PM.png>