From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bud Rindfleisch
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 12:42 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Coupler Mounting Screws

I've found "button head" screws from Micro Fasteners to be very low profile.I bought them in 2-56 and 0-80. They use a small allen wrench of which the size escapes me right now. I like the way they look compared to a phillips cross slot when underbody detailing is important.

     The attached pic is on my S scale scratchbuilt underframe for an LV caboose I'm converting to scale from Am Flyer. I use the 0-80 with the Kadee 802 couplers.

      Bud Rindfleisch

George Corral

Great place to spend hours noodling around for surplus aircraft grade you name it.  Lived just around the corner.  Haven't been in that store for years.  Was Joe Factors then.  Left over store from aircraft production support businesses for Lockheed and war production.

Luky's Hardware

Another great place was San Fernando Hardware.  Don't know if it still exists.

George Corral

Bud Rindfleisch

Dan,
     Yes, these are blackened steel but in S scale they're just that much higher from the uncoupling magnets than in HO so I haven't seen any issues with that. I'm using the small 1/8" diameter cylindrical magnets that my friend Chuck Davis put me onto, these sit just inside the rails and do tend to pull steel wheels towards them but the coupler screws being farther away have not shown any problems. Am starting to get nickel silver wheels to alleviate the wheel pulling.
    I forgot to mention the screws I bought are self tapping too. Pic attached of the between the rails magnets.
       Bud Rindfleisch

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Back in the early 90’s, I went looking at an electronics parts house in Nashville for usable stuff.

One bin was 2-56 x ¼” binder head screws. $1.00/pound. I still have a couple of pounds left.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of John Monrad <jrmonrad@...>
Date: Friday, July 10, 2020 at 4:36 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Dimensions per McMaster-Carr for 2-56 screw heads, 18-8 ss:

Type    Diameter (in)   Height (in)   /100 (1/4in)
Truss       0.194              0.053             $4.96
Binding*  0.181              0.050             $4.69
Pan          0.167              0.063             $4.49

*Slotted only

John Monrad

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Forgot the photo

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via groups.io" <bpehni@...>
Date: Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 6:41 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Back in the early 90’s, I went looking at an electronics parts house in Nashville for usable stuff.

One bin was 2-56 x ¼” binder head screws. $1.00/pound. I still have a couple of pounds left.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Dennis Storzek

If one wants blackened, non-magnetic button head screws, McMaster Carr has them:
https://www.mcmaster.com/97763a314

The link should get you on the right page and then search for the desired length from there. Admittedly, 18-8 is not totally non-magnetic, but is much less so than steel.

Dennis Storzek

Daniel A. Mitchell

We used to have a lot of surplus places here in Michigan. They mostly started as military surplus dealers after WWII, then switched to industrial surplus. They had lots of hardware, electronics, assorted metals & plastics. One could spend hours wading through these places. All “cash & carry” and mostly in bulk. Their sources for such things slowly dried-up as many industries closed, and interested customers disappeared since nobody wants to really *DO* anything anymore. Same story for the used machinery dealers, especially for small machines. There’s hardly a one left around here anymore.

Even the new material industrial supplies have mostly disappeared. The few left are mostly very expensive, and they often don’t want to deal with small quantity buyers.  They want to sell a few thousand of something, or maybe a couple hundred pounds of it. Same for tools … if you want something better than Harbor Freight you’re out of luck. I’m forced to obtain most of my tools and materials via the internet.

Dan Mitchell