From: Eric Mumper <eric.mumper@...>
Date: 9/12/19 4:13 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] covered hopper grays

Group,

Over the last few years there have been a lot of new model paints for regular old freight car color to cover all the variations.  Is there anything like that for covered hopper grays?  While going through RP Cyc 27 there are such color call-outs as Steel Gard Gray (medium gray shade) (the one I am looking for) and Pittsburgh Gray #44122 (medium gray shade).  Are there any known references for these?  Are there any valid model paint colors?  I do see Scalecoat has 2084 UP hopper car gray.  Matching by eye is out for all of these as the only photos are B&W.  Intermountain and any other company doing covered hoppers must have gotten info from somewhere (whether it is accurate or not is another matter.)  It would be nice to have actual data for this as a good starting point and work from there.  Thanks.

Eric Mumper
--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin

Eric Mumper

Greg,

RP Cyc 27 focuses on the ACF 1958 cuft covered hoppers.  Being a Steam Era Freight Car List I am mostly interested in the late 1940s to early 1950s.  Railroad is not mentioned as the idea is to find a range of grays applicable to covered hoppers just like the range of FCC now being offered.  Also many of these covered hoppers would have been in SHPX lease service.  What does "medium gray shade" mean when converting to available paint colors?  Most available model grays are either RR locomotive specific or military FS type colors.

Eric Mumper