Topics

covered hopper grays take 2

Eric Mumper

Group,

The last email about this subject did not provide a lot of responses which I kind of figured on as it is really obscure.

Let me try this another way:  If you have painted a covered hopper gray from the steam era, please respond with what paint you used and the model it was used on.  Any other information included with the response would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Eric Mumper
eric.mumper@...

O Fenton Wells

I like SCII primer, then gloss
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Bill Keene

Back in the last century when I was constructing a mid-50s seaport layout, I painted a good number of covered hoppers to serve the cement translating facility at the port. My choice of light grays varied as to what was closest at hand. Sometimes Scalecoat. Sometimes Scalecoat II, Sometimes Folquil. The slight variety of grays when weathered were quite acceptable.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 16, 2019, at 9:03 AM, Eric Mumper <eric.mumper@...> wrote:

Group,

The last email about this subject did not provide a lot of responses which I kind of figured on as it is really obscure.

Let me try this another way:  If you have painted a covered hopper gray from the steam era, please respond with what paint you used and the model it was used on.  Any other information included with the response would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Eric Mumper
eric.mumper@...

Rick Jesionowski

I used to use Floquil Gray Primer for my covered hoppers, now I alternate between Scalecoat II UP Covered Hopper Gray and Maintenance of Way Gray.

Rick Jeswionowski

dale florence

I use Spring Mills Depot Gray from the B&O Covered hopper as my base.

Dale Florence

On Monday, September 16, 2019, 02:29:33 PM EDT, Rick Jesionowski via Groups.Io <dti406@...> wrote:

I used to use Floquil Gray Primer for my covered hoppers, now I alternate between Scalecoat II UP Covered Hopper Gray and Maintenance of Way Gray.

Rick Jeswionowski

James E Kubanick

I have used a gray called SP Lettering Gray, available from more thane one model paint supplier. This is a mid-tone gray that looks good under a weathering coat of cement color.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Monday, September 16, 2019, 2:51:56 PM EDT, dale florence via Groups.Io <dwwesley@...> wrote:

I use Spring Mills Depot Gray from the B&O Covered hopper as my base.

Dale Florence

On Monday, September 16, 2019, 02:29:33 PM EDT, Rick Jesionowski via Groups.Io <dti406@...> wrote:

I used to use Floquil Gray Primer for my covered hoppers, now I alternate between Scalecoat II UP Covered Hopper Gray and Maintenance of Way Gray.

Rick Jeswionowski

Richard Townsend

If you can, get a copy of the October 1991 Railmodel Journal. The esteemed author, beginning on page 10, described mixes he developed for various prototypes. While some of the paints he used are no longer available, the colors and mixes should point down the right track.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

Eric Hansmann

This can be viewed online at the Train Life site.

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1991_10/

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

Thank you to everybody for the replies.  I was not aware of the RMJ article.  Thanks also to Ed Hawkins for the scans of the actual color chips and others for their insight into the problems of the shades of gray and the difficulty into scaling them to models.

There are plenty of model paint grays and I appreciate the responses of actual uses to help narrow down the field.  Please keep them coming.

Eric Mumper

Drew M.

I use Vallejo colors. Attached are the two colors I mix to achieve a grey for covered hoppers. I usually do two drops of white to one of grey with a little tweaking.

Drew in Philly

Modeling the pre-Depression years.

Sent from TypeApp

On Sep 17, 2019, at 09:05, Eric Mumper <eric.mumper@...> wrote:
Group,

Thank you to everybody for the replies.  I was not aware of the RMJ article.  Thanks also to Ed Hawkins for the scans of the actual color chips and others for their insight into the problems of the shades of gray and the difficulty into scaling them to models.

There are plenty of model paint grays and I appreciate the responses of actual uses to help narrow down the field.  Please keep them coming.

Eric Mumper

Greg Martin

I agree with Jim, this the color match recommended to the PRRT&HS for the Paint committee.

I still have a bottle or two left.

Greg Martin

Why Yes I have done some modeling...

Sent from AOL Desktop

In a message dated 9/16/2019 2:50:18 PM Pacific Standard Time, jekuban@... writes:

I have used a gray called SP Lettering Gray, available from more thane one model paint supplier. This is a mid-tone gray that looks good under a weathering coat of cement color.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin