Topics

Covered Hopper ID

David

I'm curious about the covered hopper in the scan attached (hopefully).  Image is on the Santa Fe in Medicine Lodge, KS 1952.

It is no doubt a Carbon Black hopper, any ideas on the owner and reporting marks.  I'm guessing Colombian Carbon Co.  From this angle the car looks like it could be modeled from the F&C kit, and I think this style of hopper was offered by Railshop and Overland.

Seems odd that this car would be on this particular branch line.  The only non-agricultural traffic on this line to my knowledge is gypsum mining and wallboard manufacturing.  There would be petroleum production in this area, but no refineries.  No interchanges with foreign roads on this branch.  Any speculation why this car would be out here?

Photo credit goes to William O Gibson, Medicine Lodge, Kansas 1952.  "Santa Fe Engine Picture Taker" p.21.

Regards,
David Snook
Wichita, KS

Tim O'Connor

The car in your photo is a Columbian Carbon ACF hopper of the type offered by the three
different sources - representing the cars before they were all rebuilt to increase their
capacity. There are no models of the rebuilt cars.

Carbon black was produced in factories that burned natural gas and collected the carbon soot.
I've attached a photo from the 2007 Naperville meet of a model of a facility that was built in
west Texas.

On 9/29/2019 11:05 AM, David via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ed Hawkins

On Sep 29, 2019, at 10:05 AM, David via Groups.Io <davidleesnook@...> wrote:

It is no doubt a Carbon Black hopper, any ideas on the owner and reporting marks.  I'm guessing Colombian Carbon Co.  From this angle the car looks like it could be modeled from the F&C kit, and I think this style of hopper was offered by Railshop and Overland.

David,
Columbian Carbon’s reporting marks were CCX. For the referenced 1952 date of the photo, CCX car numbers ranged from 211-307, 95 cars in service as of 1/52.

They were built in relatively small groups of 10 to 25 cars by ACF from 7-37 to 10-47. CCX 211-262, 52 cars, were originally built for Columbian Gasoline (SCNX 211-262) built 7-37 to 8-39 & transferred to CCX in the first half of 1940. ACF built 45 additional cars for CCX from 10-40 to 10-47. Two cars from original series 211-220 were apparently lost to attrition, one in 1943 & the other in 1949-1950. All of these cars had 3000 cu. ft. capacity.

ACF builder photos with CCX reporting marks include 270, built 12-40, lot 2107, which was published on page 305, 1946 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia & page 248 of the 1949-1951 CBC. Other builder photos are 285, built 10-41, lot 2250 and 304, built 10-47, lot 3047. Scans of these photos are available from the Barriger National Railroad Library.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

mopacfirst

That part of Kansas overlays a very large gas field, the Hugoton.  Could there have been a carbon black plant on the branch?

I know there was one owned by Cabot right off the Santa Fe mainline (now the Transcon) near Pampa, Texas, which is geographically interchangeable with western Kansas.

Ron Merrick