CP345227 drop bottom gon in coal service in West Virginia (!)

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

CP345227 drop bottom gon in coal service in West Virginia (!)

I didn't think these cars traveled into the USA, apparently I was wrong

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Tony Thompson

Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi List Members,

CP345227 drop bottom gon in coal service in West Virginia (!)

I didn't think these cars traveled into the USA, apparently I was wrong

Officially, it was against the rules (unless the car is bound for Canada). Unofficially . . . well . . .

Tony Thompson

Gavin

Actually, CPR had a deal with C&O for steam coal to Montreal and points surrounding, as much of CPRs coal operations were west of the Rockies. CPR even built a class of gondola specifically to interchange, called the Big Otis.

On Sun, May 16, 2021, 4:38 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
Claus Schlund wrote:

Hi List Members,

CP345227 drop bottom gon in coal service in West Virginia (!)

I didn't think these cars traveled into the USA, apparently I was wrong

Officially, it was against the rules (unless the car is bound for Canada). Unofficially . . . well . . .

Tony Thompson

John Riddell

Undoubtedly this loaded  CP Otis gon and the CP Big Otis  gon behind were bound for Ontario. CP imported all its locomotive coal for its Ontario operations from Appalachia as Canadian sources were too far west or east. I have seen other pictures of these CP Otis cars in the US.

John Riddell.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input Tony.

The web page does say "Prepared Monongalia County Coal Ready for Shipment to Foreign Markets". Perhaps the "Foreign Market" destination was in Canada, in which case this is all on the up and up...

Claus Schlund

CP345227 drop bottom gon in coal service in West Virginia (!)

I didn't think these cars traveled into the USA, apparently I was wrong

Officially, it was against the rules (unless the car is bound for Canada). Unofficially . . . well . . .

Tony Thompson

David Soderblom

There’s at least two CP gobs, so not just a one-off.

Sent from my tricorder