Topics

Crane ID Help

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

Attached are three photos of an unnumbered crane owned by the Winchester & Western. All three shots were outside their shops at Gore, Virginia, and taken from around 1990s to sometime past 2000 (the color view), but the crane definitely fits our era.

Any thoughts on the builder and model. I've looked through my few books with crane photos and don't find a match. George Elwood's Fallen Flags site does not have a photo (yet!).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Tim O'Connor

Looks like a BURRO crane

Attached are three photos of an unnumbered crane owned by the Winchester & Western. All three shots were outside their shops at Gore, Virginia, and taken from around 1990s to sometime past 2000 (the color view), but the crane definitely fits our era.

Any thoughts on the builder and model. I've looked through my few books with crane photos and don't find a match. George Elwood's Fallen Flags site does not have a photo (yet!).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Attachments:

_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

I believe all Burro cranes only have two axles.  this crane has 4 axles. A guess would be Industrial Brownhoist.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 07:50:08 AM CST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Looks like a BURRO crane

Attached are three photos of an unnumbered crane owned by the Winchester & Western. All three shots were outside their shops at Gore, Virginia, and taken from around 1990s to sometime past 2000 (the color view), but the crane definitely fits our era.

Any thoughts on the builder and model. I've looked through my few books with crane photos and don't find a match. George Elwood's Fallen Flags site does not have a photo (yet!).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Attachments:

Douglas Harding

Here is a truck mounted crane with the same cab/body https://www.flickr.com/photos/67384646@N08/8108383830

One comment says the crane is a Browning .

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Attached are three photos of an unnumbered crane owned by the Winchester & Western. All three shots were outside their shops at Gore, Virginia, and taken from around 1990s to sometime past 2000 (the color view), but the crane definitely fits our era.

Any thoughts on the builder and model. I've looked through my few books with crane photos and don't find a match. George Elwood's Fallen Flags site does not have a photo (yet!).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Tim O'Connor

What happened to the rear nameplate casting (in the ID photo, not this one)? Both Burros and Brownhoists had it.

On 1/7/2020 10:56 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Here is a truck mounted crane with the same cab/body https://www.flickr.com/photos/67384646@N08/8108383830

One comment says the crane is a Browning .

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Attached are three photos of an unnumbered crane owned by the Winchester & Western. All three shots were outside their shops at Gore, Virginia, and taken from around 1990s to sometime past 2000 (the color view), but the crane definitely fits our era.

Any thoughts on the builder and model. I've looked through my few books with crane photos and don't find a match. George Elwood's Fallen Flags site does not have a photo (yet!).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Sterling, Massachusetts

mofwcaboose

Still looking for a good picture of a crane definately identified as a Browning. The crane in the Flickr photo is a close but not exact match. The boom, in particular; note the large gusset at the lower end of the W&W crane boom, which is not present on the truck crane.

I have a suspicion  that the car under the W&W crane and the crane itself were once two seperate cranes. It could be that the original crane was a steam crane, probably purchased second-hand, and when it wore out, the crane was removed and this crane installed on the old frame. The resulting lash-up would not have been self propelled and have to be moved about by a locomotive.

John  C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL