Topics

D coupler pivot pins :)

Earl Tuson

From: byronrose@...

What size were the pivot pins on 1920s era coupler knuckles?
Come on, Byron, you ought to know that D couplers used a 13 3/8" long, 1 5/8"
diameter pin, drilled for a 3/8" X 2 1/2" cotter. Geez, I thought everybody
knew THAT one.

Now, can anyone help me with the correct contour of a USRA striker casting?
The 1919 CBC plans I'm looking at show, looking from the top, a flat striking
surface in some plans and a convex surface in others.

Earl Tuson

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Richard Hendrickson

From: byronrose@...

What size were the pivot pins on 1920s era coupler knuckles?
Come on, Byron, you ought to know that D couplers used a 13 3/8" long, 1 5/8"
diameter pin, drilled for a 3/8" X 2 1/2" cotter. Geez, I thought everybody
knew THAT one.

Now, can anyone help me with the correct contour of a USRA striker casting?
The 1919 CBC plans I'm looking at show, looking from the top, a flat striking
surface in some plans and a convex surface in others.
As everyone knows except Bob Hundman, the drawings were only proposals and
don't necessarily represent the cars as built. In fact, the striking
castings on most of the USRA cars were concave. They weren't that way to
start with, but that's how they looked after several hundred abrupt stops.

Seriously, I just looked at a number of builder's photos of several
different USRA car types and the face of the striker casting was flat in
all of them.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520