Topics

D&H 36' Box Cars

anthony wagner

Hey guys, or girls, anyone have photos of D&H 36' box cars? Post war is preferred but any showing the various end upgrades will do nicely. Looking to do a mild upgrade of a pair of Accurail cars and while I have a couple of photos more would help. I'm modeling 1949 and the D&H still had a couple thousand of these cars in service then. Thanks Tony Wagner

Dave Parker

Tony:

Not sure what you feel is a "mild" upgrade.  The D&H shorties can be seen with four different ends, but none of them match either of the two Accurail options (plain wood or Murphy).  Also, by 1949, most (maybe all) D&H cars would have sported Hutchins all-steel roofs rather than the Accurail's Murphy XLA.

If you want to undertake some moderately serious bashing, I can send you a few pix off-group.  If not, consider the three versions of the F&C resin kit for an easier go of it.  IMO, the nearby DL&W is a much better match to the Accurail cars but, I must confess, I have not tracked them into the post-war era.  The D&H was somewhat unique in its fondness for hanging onto and rebuilding pre-WWI cars.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Benjamin Hom

Tony Wagner asked:
"Hey guys, or girls, anyone have photos of D&H 36' box cars? Post war is preferred but any showing the various end upgrades will do nicely. Looking to do a mild upgrade of a pair of Accurail cars and while I have a couple of photos more would help. I'm modeling 1949 and the D&H still had a couple thousand of these cars in service then."

See John Nehrich's "Modeling D&H's 1907 Wooden Boxcars" in the December 1987 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom