Topics

D&H 36-footer

Bill Welch

The Boys at the Clearwater Car Shops have been busy getting several freight cars to the point to be painted. This is a Funaro & Camerlengo kit for a Delaware & Hudson 36-foot boxcar, many of which were in service into the 1950's. Many improvements: .005 styrene strips to complete Z-Bars on the ends; Grandt Line lift ring melted w/Testers for push pole pockets; .20 Tichy rivets for bolts/rivets. Note the bent/damaged roof flashing on the ends. Wine ladders scratch built using .010 Plastruct rod w/Athearn harvested rivets on the edge of the stiles serving as the ends of the interlocking ladder rungs. Small "V" shape cuts into the Hutchins roof ribs with Grandt Line NBWs on the ribs—more .010 styrene used to make small stamping in the middle of the roof panels. Largish Archer rivets on the underframe's center sill so maybe they can be seen in profile. The corner braces or gussets in photos I have appear to be heavier than typical so I used .010 x .030 strip styrene instead of .005 thick styrene for those parts. The small gussets on the re-enforcement under the door are .010 styrene rod; after they had cured I pinched them with my sprue cutting tweezers at an angle so they will look like triangles. Because there is white styrene on white or off-white resin, I manipulated the photos to increase the contrast so the styrene improvements can be seen more easily.

Bill Welch

Greg Bartek

Wow, phenomenal craftsmanship and modeling!! Stunning work Bill, thanks for posting.

Greg Bartek