Topics

D&H Flat

Dave Boss

Hello Guys
                    Does anyone know if there was ever a D&H #16153 250 ton four truck flat car model available or even a decal set for this flat car in HO scale? The F&C kits, as well as Athearns, version are different , but might work to a kit bash project. I believe the real issues is the decals. I can't recall any decal sets or models. Any help would be appreciated Thank you

Good Day
Dave Boss

rdgbuff56

Eastern Car Works had this kit available some years ago.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

On Friday, February 7, 2020, 05:36:39 PM EST, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

Hello Guys
                    Does anyone know if there was ever a D&H #16153 250 ton four truck flat car model available or even a decal set for this flat car in HO scale? The F&C kits, as well as Athearns, version are different , but might work to a kit bash project. I believe the real issues is the decals. I can't recall any decal sets or models. Any help would be appreciated Thank you

Good Day
Dave Boss

Dave Boss

Hi Francis
                Thanks for the info I'll have to search for one. Do you know if it came with decals? Dave

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 5:58 PM rdgbuff56 via Groups.Io <rdgbuff56=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Eastern Car Works had this kit available some years ago.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
On Friday, February 7, 2020, 05:36:39 PM EST, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

Hello Guys
                    Does anyone know if there was ever a D&H #16153 250 ton four truck flat car model available or even a decal set for this flat car in HO scale? The F&C kits, as well as Athearns, version are different , but might work to a kit bash project. I believe the real issues is the decals. I can't recall any decal sets or models. Any help would be appreciated Thank you

Good Day
Dave Boss

Bruce Smith

Dave,

This flat car was produced by GSC as a "kit" which a number of railroads purchased. On the PRR this was the F34. F&C recently released the F34 in HO, and subsequently SP and C&NW versions of this kit. Hold on a bot and you may see a D&H version, especially if you ask for it 🙂🙂

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

                    Does anyone know if there was ever a D&H #16153 250 ton four truck flat car model available or even a decal set for this flat car in HO scale? The F&C kits, as well as Athearns, version are different , but might work to a kit bash project. I believe the real issues is the decals. I can't recall any decal sets or models. Any help would be appreciated Thank you

Good Day
Dave Boss

rdgbuff56

Dave,
I do not know if it had decals. I would say probably not.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

On Friday, February 7, 2020, 07:41:51 PM EST, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

Hi Francis
                Thanks for the info I'll have to search for one. Do you know if it came with decals? Dave

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 5:58 PM rdgbuff56 via Groups.Io <rdgbuff56=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Eastern Car Works had this kit available some years ago.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
On Friday, February 7, 2020, 05:36:39 PM EST, Dave Boss <daveboss1976@...> wrote:

Hello Guys
                    Does anyone know if there was ever a D&H #16153 250 ton four truck flat car model available or even a decal set for this flat car in HO scale? The F&C kits, as well as Athearns, version are different , but might work to a kit bash project. I believe the real issues is the decals. I can't recall any decal sets or models. Any help would be appreciated Thank you

Good Day
Dave Boss

Tom Madden

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 03:58 PM, rdgbuff56 wrote:
Eastern Car Works had this kit available some years ago.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Eastern Car Works made a 90 ton two truck depressed center flat car. Did they also make the 250 ton four truck one the O.P. was asking about?

Tom Madden

rdgbuff56

Yes.  16??? Series.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

On Saturday, February 8, 2020, 6:51:28 AM UTC, Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 03:58 PM, rdgbuff56 wrote:
Eastern Car Works had this kit available some years ago.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Eastern Car Works made a 90 ton two truck depressed center flat car. Did they also make the 250 ton four truck one the O.P. was asking about?

Tom Madden

Bruce Smith

I'm with Tom on this...

I could be wrong, but ECW produced two heavy duty flat cars that I am aware of, the Commonwealth 90 ton depressed center car (NYC, NH, etc...) series 4800 kits and the 4 truck PRR F38 (series 4700 kits).

I searched with multiple terms and while the extremely hard to find F38 came up multiple times and the 90 ton depressed center car dominated, I could find no evidence on-line of an ECW kit for the subject car.

Both Athearn and Bachmann have produced the car in question in HO, albeit somewhat grossly misshapen.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 03:58 PM, rdgbuff56 wrote:
Eastern Car Works had this kit available some years ago.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Eastern Car Works made a 90 ton two truck depressed center flat car. Did they also make the 250 ton four truck one the O.P. was asking about?

Tom Madden

rdgbuff56

Aren't the two cars identical? When first released the ECW car was advertised as a D&H car.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

On Saturday, February 8, 2020, 09:18:51 AM EST, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Daniel A. Mitchell

The two cars are very similar, but not identical. Both have four 3-axle Buckeye trucks mounted on span bolsters. The PRR F38 has a main deck that extends almost the full-length of the car, with minimal exposed decks on the span bolsters. The D&H version has a shorter main deck, and much larger end platforms (“porches”) on the span bolsters.

The Eastern car works part number for the D&H car was 4700.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:32 AM, rdgbuff56 via Groups.Io <rdgbuff56@...> wrote:

[...]

Um Dan,

Nope. D&H #16153 bears almost no resemblance to the PRR F38. The D&H car has 4 trucks, true, but they are 2-axle and not 3-axle. The body is welded, true, but the D&H body is full-length, with no end platforms. The D&H car is broadly similar to the PRR F34 but is not the same as that car either.

So, let's review...

D&H 16153 (no known kit)

PRR F34 (Athearn, Bachmann, F&C) - 187.5 ton capacity (later increased to 200 tons), 8 axle flat

ECW kit #4700 - PRR F38 - 250 ton 12 axle heavy duty flat

ECW kit 4800 - 90 ton depressed center flat car

As you can see, these are three VERY different cars. The D&H car bears NO resemblance to the PRR F38 other than being multi-trucked with span bolsters. On close examination of the D&H car, it appears to be similar to but a bit longer and without the obvious cast body flange of the pre WWII era GSC car (PRR F34, CNW, SP, etc...).

Bottom line, unless there is physical evidence to the existence of an ECW model of this D&H flat car, I'm going to remain skeptical that such a thing ever existed.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 03:58 PM, rdgbuff56 wrote:
Eastern Car Works had this kit available some years ago.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Eastern Car Works made a 90 ton two truck depressed center flat car. Did they also make the 250 ton four truck one the O.P. was asking about?

Tom Madden

Daniel A. Mitchell

Nope!

I’m no D&H expert. I was referring to the ECW HO plastic KIT (what was being discussed), not any prototype. We are NOT discussing the D&H #16153, a more conventional 4-truck 8-axle car.

The 4-truck HO model ECW produced was offered as BOTH a PRR F38 and a D&H car. I suspect they were the same, except for the length of the main deck.

Their part no.4700 is the D&H model,  a 12-axle 4-truck car. I have no idea if it even has a prototype, D&H or other, but it exists as a model.

I have a Railworks PRR F38 and the ECW 4-truck flat. They are virtually identical except for the deck-length and end platforms. Hey both have 12 axles and four trucks.

Here, copied off an eBay listing are photos of BOTH versions.

Dan MItchell
==========

On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:41 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

It appears to me that the D&H car is just a car with a shorter deck. If you had the F38, just modify deck by shortening it.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

On Saturday, February 8, 2020, 11:20:54 AM EST, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Kelly

The Eastern Car Works #4700 is labeled as a PRR F38 but will build either car. The kit is an F38 but the instructions and marks on the deck parts show how to shorten the deck for the D&H version. The included decals had both PRR and D&H.
Later,
Bill Kelly

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
The two cars are very similar, but not identical. Both have four 3-axle Buckeye trucks mounted on span bolsters. The PRR F38 has a main deck that extends almost the full-length of the car, with minimal exposed decks on the span bolsters. The D&H version has a shorter main deck, and much larger end platforms (“porches”) on the span bolsters.

The Eastern car works part number for the D&H car was 4700.

Dan Mitchell

Bob Webber

Tom Madden

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 09:33 AM, Bob Webber wrote:
Hmmm...
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/prr-f38-flat-car-kit-eastern-car-110650255
I particularly like the list of "Similar Items" at the bottom of the page.....

Tom Madden

Daniel A. Mitchell

Bob Kelly states : "The Eastern Car Works #4700 is labeled as a PRR F38 but will build either car. The kit is an F38 but the instructions and marks on the deck parts show how to shorten the deck for the D&H version. The included decals had both PRR and D&H".

That’s interesting! Mine is in a box labeled “D&H", not PRR. So, there must have been several versions of packaging. As I earlier stated the cars are identical except for the main-deck length. I have not looked into my kit for several years (it’s buried), but it may well be true that it will build either version. However, it was definitely marketed as a D&H car, and the replies make it clear that it was marketed separately as a PRR F38. Lilekely the same kit in two different boxes. I can’t recall whether my D&H version includes PRR decals. I’ll need to dig it out and take a look.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Feb 8, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Bill Kelly <wbkelly@...> wrote:

The Eastern Car Works #4700 is labeled as a PRR F38 but will build either car. The kit is an F38 but the instructions and marks on the deck parts show how to shorten the deck for the D&H version. The included decals had both PRR and D&H.
Later,
Bill Kelly

rdgbuff56

Would you want to sell it?

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

On Saturday, February 8, 2020, 12:12:16 PM EST, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan,

You may have missed it, but this entire thread was started with respect to D&H 16153. Dave Boss asked "Does anyone know if there was ever a D&H #16153 250 ton four truck flat car model available...?". Francis then replied that there was an ECW kit of that car. At no point was the thread NOT in reference to D&H 16153. I suggest that you use the links at the bottom of this message and see that for yourself.

And no, ECW 4700 is the PRR F38

Finally, the photo in your email comes from a Model Railroad Hobbyist blog, where the author (not you), states that he is using the F38 kit to model two flats, one the PRR F38 and a second, SOUTHERN 50099 (no D&H mentioned) a flat with a shorter deck that he is BASHING from the F38. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/24094 I even did a Google image search with the photo from your message and the only thing it brought up was the MRH thread. I can find no sign of the photo you attached on eBay.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

I’m no D&H expert. I was referring to the ECW HO plastic KIT (what was being discussed), not any prototype. We are NOT discussing the D&H #16153, a more conventional 4-truck 8-axle car.

The 4-truck HO model ECW produced was offered as BOTH a PRR F38 and a D&H car. I suspect they were the same, except for the length of the main deck.

Their part no.4700 is the D&H model,  a 12-axle 4-truck car. I have no idea if it even has a prototype, D&H or other, but it exists as a model.

I have a Railworks PRR F38 and the ECW 4-truck flat. They are virtually identical except for the deck-length and end platforms. Hey both have 12 axles and four trucks.

Here, copied off an eBay listing are photos of BOTH versions.

Dan MItchell

Bob Webber

What, you think the Olds grill is a bit out of comparison?  The algorithms for determining "similarity" have always needed tweaking.  OTOH, the Gon is in the same basic category....