Topics

D&RGW boxcar end

Andy Carlson

If what I am seeing is what you have commented on, then we are both looking at an early Dreadnaught stamped steel end which used "indented" (or inverted; I have heard both terms used in describing this end) stampings. The joint section had an obstacle rolled flat to allow riveting. This style of end was done quite well in my opinion from Al Westerfield in his ATSF box cars. This same style of end was used in the Pullman Co. built 50' single sheathed auto cars for the WP which MDC did several years ago in the pre-Tahoe Model Works era. There are 100's of examples of this style of end.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Saturday, January 11, 2020, 11:31:27 AM PST, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Friends,

The second photo also captures a rare view of a WP-owned PFE reefer, 50556.

Did you all take note the odd wale in the middle of the D&RGW car's end? It appears to be two sections pieced together, but with a matching additional half-indent in each. I've never seen an end like this before.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:21 AM David via Groups.Io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here's another raised-roof box.

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Emil-Albrecht-Photos/1947-Oct-Salt-Lake-City/i-Tnq2XQp/A

David Thompson

_._,_._,_

mopacfirst

Detouring back to the the Santa Fe, since I'm almost finished with a Bx-11 and have a couple Bx-12s on the bench, I will note that Westerfield indeed got that little curve modeled right on the Bx-11, and for the Bx-12s, that area adjacent to the center rivet seam on the car ends is correctly flat.

Ron Merrick

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Andy,

No, I don't think we are seeing the same thing. I'm not talking about the end as a whole, just what appears to be an extra indent on both sides of the joint to the left of the tack board.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 2:43 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 01:59 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
No, I don't think we are seeing the same thing. I'm not talking about the end as a whole, just what appears to be an extra indent on both sides of the joint to the left of the tack board.
Garth,

The fourth, fifth, and sixth photos down in this paper explains it all:

https://www.ttnut.com/resources/dreadnaught-ends-richard-hendrickson/8959

Dennis