Topics

D&RGW coal train, which cars appropriate?

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

please allow another dumb question from a freight car newbie. Part of my "mixed freight" is a cut of D&RGW drop bottom coal gondolas, up to date 13 of the 47' type offered by W&R several years ago. I am assuming that just this one car type would be very unlikely to see and therefore I am looking for other cars to add variety. But I don't know enough to decide which available cars can be credibly painted D&RGW. I recall a posting on this group several months ago that most or all D&RGW's gondolas were special in several details and proportions.

The following drop bottom type gondolas are available (in brass, which is mandatory for me for this train):

USRA composite side drop bottom:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/19532

GS composite side:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/43214

UP G 50-7:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19484/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2250-1-Union-Pacific-GONDOLA

https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19485/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2251-1-Union-Pacific-GONDOLA

SP G 50-9:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19360/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2096-1-Southern-Pacific-GONDOLA

SP G 50-12:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19366/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2249-1-Southern-Pacific-GONDOLA

Is there any model in this list which I can use to make a D&RGW car? And what would be the major changes to do?
Yes I did try to search information, but did not find anything definite. Red Caboose once offered both a wood side GS and a steel side GS gondola lettered D&RGW - but I just don't know if these were correct considering the fact that most all manufacturers were/ are offering "foobies".

I found this photo:
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/other_cars/drgw_cars/drgw_number/072000-073699.htm

Described here as a 46' type, but if you use "Back to D&RGW Freight Cars Page" you will find it listed as a 40' car (scroll down to the end of the list) - what is correct? To me it looks very similar (please excuse me) to the UP or SP models offered by Challenger.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Many greetings

Johannes

Garth Groff

Johannes,

Sorry to correct you, but D&RGW 72000-73699 were 46-foot inside length cars, according to my 1958 ORER and Jim Eager's RIO GRANDE COLOR GUIDE TO FREIGHT AND PASSENGER EQUIPMENT (see page 77).

According to Eager, Rio Grande's 40-foot, 10-inch GS gondolas were all built by Pressed Steel Car Co. 46000-46499 were built in 1947-48 with Improved Dreadnuaght ends and Duryea Cushion Underframes. 46500-46999 had PSC's own 4-rib proprietary end, and with an even 45-foot overall length certainly were Duyryea-equipped. In 1949 they were followed by 47000-47999 with conventional underframes and the PSC end, coming in at an even 44-feet. A car from the latter group is shown on page 76 of Eager's book.

I'm a bit dubious about the Duryea Underframes on 46000-46499--they were only 43-feet 5-inches long overall, shorter than what would be typical of a Duyryea Underframe, and actually the shortest of the three groups.  Could the ORER length be wrong?

Could you build any of these with a Red Caboose kit? Possibly. A Duryea Underframe isn't all that hard to do from styrene strips, though you would need good information to get it right, since it would be very visible on these cars. The 47000-series would probably be the easier because you could use the kit's underframe. The PSC proprietary end AFAIK has never been done. This end possibly could be built up from styrene, though the car should have a load to hide the flat inside end.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/9/19 4:28 PM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
[...]

The 70 ton Rio Grande GS gondolas were not that unusual. The UP and SP also owned
70 ton GS gondolas.

The Rio Grande did have several series of 50 ton GS gondolas too. The Red Caboose
(and Detail Associates) models work best for the 46000 series cars.

There are RESIN Rio Grande GS gondolas from Shapeways, and they build up into good
looking models. We have discussed them here before.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/9/2019 4:28 PM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
[...]

*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Richard Townsend

It's too bad you have to have brass, because the 3D printed gondolas from bonsallscalecarshops on eBay otherwise fit your D&RGW train.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

lots of thanks for your input!

Richard, afaik the bonsallscalecarshops model is exactly the same type car I already have from W&R.

Many thanks Tim for your comment on the composite sides gon! Some hours ago I compared one of my Red Caboose models with the Precision Scale Brass model linked yesterday - and (to me) they are virtually identical. :-)

Garth, many thanks for your input! Seems that I should try to find a photo of one of the Pressed Steel Car Co. 46000-46499 40-foot, 10-inch GS gondolas, maybe these are (almost) similar to the linked UP and SP steel side gons?

Did D&RGW not have USRA composite side gondolas?

Thanks again and greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Samstag, 09. Februar 2019 um 23:33 Uhr
Von: "Richard Townsend via Groups.Io" <richtownsend@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Johannes asked:
"Did D&RGW not have USRA composite side gondolas?"

They did not.  Summary of USRA car assignments at Eric Hansmann's blog here:

Ben Hom

vapeurchapelon

Many thanks Ben, also for that great link!

Johannes

Gesendet: Sonntag, 10. Februar 2019 um 15:05 Uhr
Von: "Benjamin Hom" <b.hom@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Johannes asked:
"Did D&RGW not have USRA composite side gondolas?"

They did not.  Summary of USRA car assignments at Eric Hansmann's blog here:

Ben Hom

Mark Hemphill

i don't know what era you are modeling, which would really help. So I tried to give a broad guide for the 1920-1960 era below.

This is the roster for D&RGW gondolas used in coal in the 1930-1960 time frame, not including later renumbers in the 1950s, derived from data provided by Jim Eager.  Other than Corey Bonsall and W&R, none of these cars are directly offered in an accurate model in HO. The 46000-46499 50-ton cars have a close match in the Red Caboose GS gon (absent the Duryea underframe). The problem is the 46000-46499 cars weren’t much used in coal service because they were 50-ton cars in a Western Territory rate structure that wanted 70-ton cars by the time they were manufactured in 1948. They were more often used for sugar beets, round wood, ties, and other low-density commodities.

D&RGW coal was as much as 50 percent loaded in box cars in the winter months, and approximately 25 percent loaded in box cars in the summer months. Generally the high-value lump sizes used for domestic heating were loaded in boxcars, and the mine-run and crushed sizes used for industrial fuel, coking, and railroad fuel were loaded in gons.  Box cars used for coal were anything 36’ long or 40’ long that could be obtained, except usually not automobile box cars. Foreign road box cars were very common in coal traffic, more so than home-road cars. Stock cars were also frequently used for large lump sizes, with foreign road cars very common.

Union Pacific and Utah Coal Route GS gons were not uncommon to see in Utah, but generally the Utah Coal Route didn’t filter into D&RGW service, probably because the Utah Railway griped strenuously when that happened. GN and WP gons showed up on occasion. I’ve never seen a photograph of an SP GS gon on D&RGW in coal traffic service. MoPac hoppers were not uncommon to see in Colorado, along with C&EI and Southern. Burlington, C&S, and Santa Fe gons and hoppers appear in photos in the pre-WWI years, but very rarely after WWI. D&SL gons wandered off into D&RGW service; I’ve seen photos of them at Pueblo. I’ve also seen photographs of Colorado Midland gons at Pueblo, before that road shut down. I’ve seen a few photos showing NYC, PRR, B&O, and N&W hoppers in the 1930-1965 time frame, but these are NOT common. Carbon Country Railway hoppers rarely ran east of Utah, but there’s one photograph showing three of them at Salida, circa 1965. – Mark Hemphill

40000-41000 – 36’0” IL, 50-ton, 1400 cf, PSC 1908, all steel, inside stakes sides, 10” wood side extensions applied by D&RGW

41001-42500 – 36’0” IL, 50-ton, 1400 cf, PSC 1908, all steel, inside stakes sides, 10” wood side extensions applied by D&RGW

43000-43349 – 40’0” IL, 50-ton, 1750 cf, PSC 1912, all steel, inside stakes sides

43350-43629 – 40’0” IL, 50-ton, 1658 cf, WSCF 1913, all steel, inside stakes sides, ex-D&SL 34001-34300, renumbered/relettered beginning 1947

45000-45499 – 42’0” IL, 55-ton, 2100 cf, PSC 1926, all steel, inside stakes sides

46000-46499 – 42’9” IL, 50-ton, 2100 cf, PSC, 1948, all steel, 7-rib riveted sides, ID 4 ends, Duryea underframe

46500-46999 – 42’9” IL, 50-ton, 2100 cf, PSC, 1948, all steel, 7-rib riveted sides, AAR 4 ends, Duryea underframe

47000-47499 – 42’9” IL, 50-ton, 2100 cf, PSC, 1949, all steel, 7-rib riveted sides, AAR 4 ends

70000-70699 – 46’3” IL, 70-ton, 2400 cf, WSCF 1922, all steel, inside stakes, some had coke racks applied by D&RGW

71000-71779 – 46’0” IL, 70-ton, 2340 cf, PSC 1943, steel UF, 7-rib composite sides, AAR 5 ends, Duryea UF, rebuilt with steel sides beginning 1949

71780-71999 – 46’0” IL, 70-ton, 2340 cf, PSC 1943, steel UF, 7-rib composite sides, AAR 5 ends, Duryea UF, rebuilt with steel sides beginning 1949

72000-73699 – 46’0” IL, 70-ton, 2410 cf, GATC 1953, all steel, 7 rib riveted sides, ID 5 ends

ID = Improved Dreadnaught Ends

IL = Inside Length

cf = cubic feet capacity

UF = underframe

GATC = General American Transportation Corp.

PSC = Pressed Steel Car

WSCF = Western Steel Car & Foundry

Richard Townsend

Johannes and Bill,

Look carefully at what they offer. There are both 46' and 40' gons, and both with and without cast on grabs.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Gesendet: Samstag, 09. Februar 2019 um 23:33 Uhr
Von: "Richard Townsend via Groups.Io" <richtownsend@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

[...]

Hello Mark,

wow! This is quite some information, many thanks! Seems that I misunderstood Tim in regards of composite side gondolas. Only recently I learned that Detail Associates did the steel side version, too - as was done by Red Caboose. So, before this, I did assume Tim meant the composite side type when speaking of the Red Caboose AND the Detail Associates model.

So it seems there is no other brass model available for a D&RGW coal train as the W&R model.

Then perhaps it will become a new project for me to assemble a train of all versions of the 3D-print models together with the Red Caboose STEEL SIDE GS gondola. Definitely it will look very nice!

Thanks again to all.

Johannes

Gesendet: Sonntag, 10. Februar 2019 um 16:45 Uhr
Von: "Mark Hemphill via Groups.Io" <markwmhemphill@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
[...]

I can't figure out how to edit these yet.  A couple of corrections are needed.  First, UCR coal gons were of course THE basic fleet car of the Utah Railway, they just weren't common loading on D&RGW mines in the Book Cliffs and Wasatch Plateau Coal Fields. Most of the mines in Spring Canyon were served by Utah and D&RGW on parallel branch lines. Sometimes a mine loading a Utah car would decide to bill it on D&RGW, and vice versa.  Second, I meant to say that box cars were up to 25 percent of the coal loadings in the summer months, not average 25 percent. Some of the mines didn't shipped little or no domestic heating grades and these mines didn't have many box car loadings. Some of the mines shipped mostly domestic heating grades and were mostly box car loadings. Box cars were extremely common on the Moffat-served mines, less so in the Raton Field.

Mark Hemphill