Topics

Date of Change in NYC Painting Practice

Keith Jordan <kjordan@...>

John Nehrich wrote:

PS - I had thought it was copper oxide that made the Pullman Green, too, but
Arthur Dubin in Kalmbach's Pullman Painting Guide said that Pullman combined
the yellow of rural dirt with the black of the industrial areas to make the
color....
Then Richard wrote:

Rural dirt yellow and industrial black make Pullman Green? I wonder where
Dubin came up with that notion, which I find seriously lacking in
credibility. Copper oxide pigment was what the Santa Fe used to make the
olive green (somewhat lighter than Pullman Green) they used on passenger
cars, and it seems reasonable to me that the Santa Fe was following common
industry practice in this regard.
================================

Actually, what Durbin said referring to how Pullman Green came about was
this:

(quote) ...The result was a dark olive green originally called Brewster
green and later referred to as Pullman Green--more specifically No.70-10
geen. It wasn't a pretty color. It was utilitarian. It withstood weather
well and it didn't show dirt. (Years later, about 1960, when Canadian
National Railways was revising its image, research revealed that urban dirt
is black and rural dirt is yellow. Urban dirt and rural dirt simply amounted
to more pigment on top of Pullman green, which was a yellowish
black.(unquote)

Keith Jordan

Richard Hendrickson

Keith Jordan wrote:

Actually, what Dubin said referring to how Pullman Green came about was
this:

(quote) ...The result was a dark olive green originally called Brewster
green and later referred to as Pullman Green--more specifically No.70-10
geen. It wasn't a pretty color. It was utilitarian. It withstood weather
well and it didn't show dirt. (Years later, about 1960, when Canadian
National Railways was revising its image, research revealed that urban dirt
is black and rural dirt is yellow. Urban dirt and rural dirt simply amounted
to more pigment on top of Pullman green, which was a yellowish
black.(unquote).
Thanks, Keith. That's a good deal easier to accept.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520