daylight?

ed_mines

Is it uncommon to be able to see daylight between adjacent boards of wood sided gondolas as shown in the photo below? I've only seen it once before.
Was unfinished lumber used for these gondola sides & roofwalks?

Bill Keene

They grow ‘em big in Kansas!

Interesting about the car side boards. Perhaps non-seasoned lumber still with a high moisture content was used.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Oct 27, 2021, at 9:22 AM, ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...> wrote:

Is it uncommon to be able to see daylight between adjacent boards of wood sided gondolas as shown in the photo below? I've only seen it once before.
Was unfinished lumber used for these gondola sides & roofwalks?

<daylight.jpg>

Eric Hansmann

Wood shrinks as it dries out. This is why wood-sheathed cars were weighed more frequently than all steel cars.

Gon also were beat up in service.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Oct 27, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...> wrote:

They grow ‘em big in Kansas!

Interesting about the car side boards. Perhaps non-seasoned lumber still with a high moisture content was used.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Oct 27, 2021, at 9:22 AM, ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...> wrote:

Is it uncommon to be able to see daylight between adjacent boards of wood sided gondolas as shown in the photo below? I've only seen it once before.
Was unfinished lumber used for these gondola sides & roofwalks?

<daylight.jpg>

gary laakso

And the extra weight from wheels depositing gunk on the underframes added plenty of weight.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

[...]

brianleppert@att.net

Those cracks are as authentic as the load.  The photo was touched-up.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Dave Parker

I'm with Brian.  The MCB/ARA standard for all "outside framed" cars was square-edge tongue-and-groove, 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" thick. Gaps between the board edges?  Sure.  Gaps that a determined cat could crawl through?  Not so much.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

mel perry

cmon' guys, you've all been had, LOOK at
the load?, LOOK familiar? photo shop?
bite thy tongue, someone is pulling a
chain
mel perry

What that gondola looked like new.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 12:48 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

[...]

Bill Parks

I'm hearing a lot of crickets on this thread

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Nah. Just one big one.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Bill Parks via groups.io" <BPARKS_43@...>
Date: Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 11:17 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

I'm hearing a lot of crickets on this thread

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA
Modelling the Seaboard Airline in Central Florida

Jeff Helm

It is well known in entomologist circles that the digestive juices excreted by crickets, locusts etc. would be highly corrosive to the cellulose in wood timbers.  At small scale this would not be nearly so noticeable as it apparently is with this likely world record specimen.
--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch
https://olympicpeninsulabranch.blogspot.com/

Dave Nelson

Just imagine the story Larry Jackman would have spun with this lead-in.

Dave Nelson

Yep, I still remember Larry fondly, and often think of some of his yarns. My favorite was the one about the car in the yard with missing paperwork.
Tony Thompson