From: "Jim and Ulli" <jcuc@w-link.net>
To: "STMFC (E-mail)" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 11:19 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Decal help please

Does Tichy have decals for there 52' war emergency mill gondola. I
managed
to find one undec and would like decals for it. If they have decals for
it
how much etc.
Thanks Jim in Tacoma

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Steve,
Do you have a decal for this car? Usually Tichy decals are not good
quality.
Clark

steve hile wrote:

The one I bought has a single decal sheet (approx 2 x 4 inches) that
has
Pennsy, NYC, ATSF, Rock Island (with an unnecessary RI
logo/herald/medallion) and N&W. If your kit is missing it, you should

contact Tichy.

Steve H.
Does Tichy have decals for there 52' war emergency mill gondola. I
managed
to find one undec and would like decals for it. If they have decals
for
it
how much etc.
Thanks Jim in Tacoma

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
[www.debticated.com]

Richard Hendrickson

The one I bought has a single decal sheet (approx 2 x 4 inches) that has
Pennsy, NYC, ATSF, Rock Island (with an unnecessary RI
logo/herald/medallion) and N&W. If your kit is missing it, you should
contact Tichy.
The decals were optional - undec kits didn't have them, and the kits that
included them cost a dollar or so more. Also, I found in decaling a Santa
Fe model that some of the lettering (weight data, built date, class symbol,
etc.) was the wrong size - in the case of the weight data, too large to fit
where it is supposed to go - and some lettering (e.g., "Royal F Brake
Regulator" on the side sills) was omitted. I ended up using bits and
pieces from three different Walthers and Champ decal sets to get the model
completely and correctly lettered. As I have yet to build a PRR or NYC
model, I don't know whether the decals are better for those RRs but it
wouldn't surprise me that there are similar errors/omissions. I suspect
these decals are the same ones F&C provided in their resin kits, and
neither F&C nor Tichy have good track records with regard to decal
lettering. I wonder if Martin Lofton has any extra decal sets for the WE
mill gons that are available for sale?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

From the PM list, the ultimate Bozo<VBG>!
He was featured years ago in RMC complete with him in clown dress and with
his models.<

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

byronrose@...

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:19:12 -0700 "Jim and Ulli" <jcuc@w-link.net>
writes:
Does Tichy have decals for there 52' war emergency mill gondola. I
managed
to find one undec and would like decals for it. If they have decals
for it
how much etc.
Thanks Jim in Tacoma

Hello first time caller Jim in Tacoma,

Tichy sells these kits both without and with decals (for $2.00 extra).
As indicated by others, you really saved two bucks, cuz they are almost
useless. Each decal does five different cars, but since the kit doesn't
do even one car accurately, what's the point? Don Tichy claims he'll be
selling the kits "factory" painted and lettered (three roads only, I
think), so they'll only be wrong for one road at a time instead of five.

I'm sure some kind soul within this list would be glad to give you his or
her share of one roadname if you'd ask nicely and indicate which road.

BTY, there is a firm (whose name I can't recall) that makes decent decals
for these in HO scale because they made them for the Pacific Limited O ga
models.

Byron Rose

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Terry Link

From: "Clark Propst" <cepropst@rconnect.com>

Do you have a decal for this car? Usually Tichy decals are not
good
quality.
If you are willing to try a dry transfer, Greg Komar in Florida has
a number
of sets for this car.

He has sets for Santa Fe, Central of New Jersey, Lehigh Valley,.
Norfolk &
Western, New York Central, Pennsylvania, Rock Island.

His email address off the last price list I have from him is
gkomar@mindspring.com

Terry Link
Bramalea, Ontario
trlink@canadasouthern.com
www.canadasouthern.com
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Byron,
I'm not dissing anyone. There was discussion that Emmett Kelly was a
MRR'er and that statement was made. Being how the term Bozo is sometimes
used I thought Emmett was the ultimate MRR clown! My humor is lacking as
always.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

billd@...

FWIW, I understand that the PRR version of this car had
National B-1 trucks under it...maybe some of the other roads
were similar? Anybody out there know for sure?

I have one of the undec kits kicking around the dining room
table, and at least Tichy did a nice job with the casting.
Which is more than I can say for his instructions...a plan
or diagram to illustrate where the parts go would be nice!

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Does Tichy have decals for there 52' war emergency mill gondola.
Excellent dry transfers for these cars are available from Greg Komar.
If you don't like dry transfers (especially the tiny letters) then do
what I do -- transfer the small lettering to decal paper, and apply a
light coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film with a brush. Voila - decal!

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

Richard Hendrickson

Bill Daniels wrote:

FWIW, I understand that the PRR version of this car had
National B-1 trucks under it...maybe some of the other roads
were similar? Anybody out there know for sure?
One class of Santa Fe cars (Ga-63) and both classes of PRR cars (G28 and
G30) had National B-1s. The other Santa Fe cars (class Ga-61) had Barber
S-2s.

I have one of the undec kits kicking around the dining room
table, and at least Tichy did a nice job with the casting.
Which is more than I can say for his instructions...a plan
or diagram to illustrate where the parts go would be nice!
In addition to the sketchy instructions (which include zero prototype
data), a model built directly from the kit is not entirely correct for ANY
prototype war emergency mill gondola. The kit was apparently intended to
model the NYC/IHB cars, as it has towing staples under the side sills. But
those cars had lever style hand brakes, as did the PRR cars, whereas the
kit comes with "sidesaddle" Ajax (presumably because that's the only
handbrake that comes in Tichy's AB brake set). The Santa Fe and CNJ cars
had Ajax brakes but different ends. The Rock Island cars also had
completely different ends. These and other shortcomings are all
correctable, but only if you have prototype data and photos. Fortunately,
those are on the way. Ted Culotta has put together a very comprehensive
and well illustrated article on the prototypes for a forthcoming issue of
RMC, and in that same issue I'll have a kit review pointing out the various
problems. One of the most important is the impossibility of getting
adequate weight into the model if it's empty; as it comes out of the box,
it weighs about 2 oz., less than half of the NMRA recommended weight for
its length - guaranteed to stringline unless you run it just in front of
the caboose. By using sheet lead instead of the steel weight in the kit
and a pair of old Cape Line cast metal National B-1 trucks, I managed to
get the weight up to about 3-1/2 oz., still not ideal but probably enough
so the model will operate reliably. I'll build a couple more of these
cars, but I'll model them with loads so I can get enough weight in there to
keep the cars on the track. You're right that the body molding is very
well done. But (as usual) Tichy has done some things very well and then
dropped the ball with a dull thud.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

I wonder if Martin Lofton has any extra decal sets for the WE
mill gons that are available for sale?
Richard, et al,

I have found Greg's work to be of very high quality. So is most
of Martin's work, so it may be a toss up in this case.

GREG KOMAR Dry Transfers
15532 Woodway Drive
Tampa FL 33613

These are all $3.95 a set

322 ATSF 52'6" War Emergency gondola
323 RI 52'6" War Emergency gondola
324 N&W 52'6" War Emergency gondola
325 NYC 52'6" War Emergency gondola
326 PRR 52'6" War Emergency gondola
327 CNJ 52'6" War Emergency gondola
329 LV 52'6" War Emergency gondola

Tim O'connor wrote:

I wonder if Martin Lofton has any extra decal sets for the WE
mill gons that are available for sale?
Richard, et al,

I have found Greg's work to be of very high quality. So is most
of Martin's work, so it may be a toss up in this case.

GREG KOMAR Dry Transfers
15532 Woodway Drive
Tampa FL 33613

These are all $3.95 a set
Thanks, Tim. I'll see how well I can make out in modeling a NYC and a PRR
car using the Tichy decal set. But if I run into problems I'll turn to
Greg's dry transfer sets. Like you, I routinely apply dry transfers to
decal paper and then apply them as decals on cars like the WE gons where
projecting side framing and other details complicate the process of
applying them directly as dry transfers. A simple procedure, and it works
just fine.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

billd@...

Thank you, Richard for your comments regarding this car.

Thankfully I am not so far into the building of this kit
that I cannot undo the errors and do it correctly.

I can't understand how Tichy can do such a good job on 90%
of the kit, and totally blow the rest. I don't think that
Bill Gould would have tolerated this level of sloppiness.

Bill Daniels,
who now knows just what to do with that oddball set of Cape
Line National B-1's that are kicking around the house!

byronrose@...

Jon,

I wasn't accusing anybody of anything. I just missed that part of the
conversation, for reasons unknown, and wondered what it referred to. I
still can't find any reference to Emmett Kelly or Bozo that would lead to
your comment. I must have missed an email message somewhere and I
thought I had read the entire "Decal help please" thread..

Under the circumstances you mentioned, of course, your comment is
absolutely correct.

BSR

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:44:21 -0700 "Jon Miller" <atsf@inow.com> writes:
Byron,
I'm not dissing anyone. There was discussion that Emmett Kelly
was a
MRR'er and that statement was made. Being how the term Bozo is
sometimes
used I thought Emmett was the ultimate MRR clown! My humor is
lacking as
always.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Ah, I think the first part of the message said "from another list". I'm
cryptic like that<VBG>. Richard likes to use the term Bozo's so I thought
Emmett Kelly being a clown and posing with his models in his clown suit fit.
If you could see me I'm laughing and smiling through out this entire
exchange. I'm going to give up now as when I need a dozen emails to explain
my jokes I'm really in bad shape!