Topics

Decaling and future

Brian Carlson

Seem to be having a strange reaction between my decals, decal setting solution, and the future on the side of the tichy rebuilt boxcar. I painted it a few weeks ago, and then clearcoated it with future a week ago, and I’m now decaling using speedwitch decals. I’m getting areas of discoloration that don’t look like normal air trapped under a decal. It’s like a reaction between the setting solution and future. You can even see a little discoloration between the Herald and data that is not decaled. It’s not happening with every decals. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Paint was Vallejo, Future is probably 5-10 years old.

My thought is to shoot the other side with gloss again before decaling.

Heavy weathering is in the future (no pun intended) I fear.

Brian J. Carlson

Richard Remiarz

Brian,

How long has it been since you added the decal setting fluid?  I had a similar problem with one of the cars I was finishing last week.  By the next day the discoloration had gone away.  It happened again when I added more decal setting fluid.  Something in the Microscale decal setting fluid was softening the Future, but given enough time, the Future dried clear again.  Hopefully that is what is happening in your case.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

The photo was 10-15 minutes after the last application.  I’m letting it sit till tomorrow now.

Brian J. Carlson

[...]

Allen Cain

Rich,

Please let us know if time took care of the problem.

Thanks,  Allen Cain

Brian Carlson

I took a look at the car while heading to bed tonight and I believe rich is correct. It had been drying for about two hours by then, and I’m very happy to report that everything looked like it should.

This car has been a long time Building so I am very happy it is OK. It’s been my problem child project.

Brian J. Carlson

On Nov 15, 2020, at 12:25 AM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

Rich,

Please let us know if time took care of the problem.

Thanks,  Allen Cain

Eric Hansmann

I’ve also noticed a slight milky appearance after applying Solvaset to decals but it clears up overnight.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

I took a look at the car while heading to bed tonight and I believe rich is correct. It had been drying for about two hours by then, and I’m very happy to report that everything looked like it should.

This car has been a long time Building so I am very happy it is OK. It’s been my problem child project.

Brian J. Carlson

On Nov 15, 2020, at 12:25 AM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

Rich,

Please let us know if time took care of the problem.

Thanks,  Allen Cain

radiodial868

That's good news. I use MicroSet and Badger Softening solution all the time over 10 year old future and it always dries back up clear again. Some stubborn decals have required many applications of the pin prick and softening solution trick to get it right.
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA