Topics

Decals for scale locations and light weights - L&N reweigh stations

Steven D Johnson

I’d really like to see such a comprehensive set done!

Here are some L&N ones we were discussing on the L&N group a while back. There are several messages, so scroll down.  Some of these are post-1960, but I still wouldn’t mind them being included to update “steam era” cars…I do model the 1960s too! 

Steve Johnson

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:24 AM Charles Peck via Groups.Io <lnnrr152=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

While I cannot say which ones actually did the most reweighs, I can offer a list.

Then I'll point out the ones I remember seeing most often.

BOY    Boyles AL

COR     Corbin KY

COV      Covington KY

DEC       DeCoursey  KY

LOU      Louisville  KY

NAS      Nashville  TN

RAD      Radnor  TN

SLS        South Louisville Shops  at Louisville KY

The ones I remember seeing most often were SLS, BOY, and RAD.

Those may or may not have been the busiest location, merely the ones I saw most often.

Chuck Peck

Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 6:21 PM
To: lnrr@groups.io
Subject: RE: L&N reweight stations

Here’s a thread about this subject from back in 2018.  I just forwarded the last e-mail I have on the subject.

Steve Johnson

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 7:08 AM
To: lnrr@...
Subject: RE: [L&N-NC&StL] Car Shop Abbreviations

MOB = Mobile Ala

PEN = Pensacola,Fla

MONT= Montgomery, Ala

BIR = Birmingham, Ala

On April 19, 2018 at 7:40 PM "'Steven D Johnson' tenncentralrwy@... [lnrr]" <lnrr@...> wrote:

A few more:  

SLS = South Louisville Shops

RAD = Radnor Yard (Nashville)

HWL = Howell Yard (Evansville)  

Also, sometime ca. the early 1980s, “L&N”  started being used…  

I have also seen Lafayette done as “LAFAY”...  

Older ones were PRS = Paris TN Shops – this abbreviation was in use until just after the NC&StL merger, when the Paris Shops were closed, and LOU for Louisville.   

I think Stuart is correct about Ravenna.  RAV perhaps?  

Steve Johnson     

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:24 AM
To: lnrr@...
Subject: Re: [L&N-NC&StL] Car Shop Abbreviations

Pat,  

There was also:

LOY - Loyall

HAZ - Hazard  

There may also have been a code for Ravenna but I can't remember seeing one off the top of my head.

Stuart Thayer 

On Apr 19, 2018, at 6:34 AM, pat.dowler@... [lnrr] <lnrr@...> wrote:

I have been trying to figure out what car shop location abbreviations were used on the L&N between the late 60's and mid 70's, when adoption of the COTS stencil pretty much killed off revision of the periodic shopping code on the left side of the car, as part of the weight/capacity data.  I believe during this time frame the periodic inspect/test/reweigh requirements boiled down to every 48 months for cars with roofs, and every 24 months for cars without.  The car shop codes I have observed are:
SLS - South Louisville Shops

DEC - Decoursey KY
LAF - Lafayette IN (old Monon shops)
EV - Howell Yard, Evansville IN
BOY - Boyles Yard, Birmingham AL?
StL - St Louis?
JAX - Jacksonville FL? (particularly Fruit Growers Express RBLs)
EC - ?
ER - ?
TY - ?

Can anyone provide some clarification on these shop location abbreviations, or add to the list for L&N freight car shops performing the periodic sho ppings in the late 60's/early 70's?  

Pat Dowler,
Parker, Colorado

cross posting to Facebook Classic L&N group page   _._,_.___

L&N Railroad Historical Society Web Page:
http://www.lnrr.org

L&N Railroad Historical Society Magazine Information:
http://whiteriverproductions.com/MagL&NMagazine.html

This list's web page:
http://tinyurl.com/LandN

Please edit your replies. When replying to messages on this list delete all headers and footers, and all text not needed to make the reply clear. This makes things much easier for people receiving the daily digest.

Cross posting is not allowed on this list. Please do not post messages to this list that are posted elsewhere.

__,_._,___

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 7:50 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Decals for scale locations and light weights

I’ve been kicking around an idea with Hubert Mask on having a decal set made with the most common weight locations by railroad.  I have a comprehensive list of Mopac locations but would need help with the other railroads.   I told Hubert I’d be happy to compile a list if the group members would send me the top six or eight locations.  Obviously I don’t want the full name but the ‘short name’ the railroad used in there stencil.  As example for the MP Kingsville was KV, Alexandria was ALEX. The decal sheet would be alphabetized by railroad so if you are wanting to restenciled a ATSF boxcar it would be easy to find.   He’ll also include a set of light weights.  

So the .io list isn’t filled with responses to this topic you can send your railroad name and weigh locations to me (omahaduck (at) gmail (dot) com)

thanks for helping. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.