Topics

Detailing for early tank cars

Ray Hutchison

Given all of the very good recent photographs of tank cars, I am wondering about the availability of detailing kits for these?  The usual models of these leave some things to be desired...

Ray Hutchison 
Green Bay WI

Eric Hansmann

Ray,

I suspect this would need to be a labor of love. While some prototypes lasted into the 1940s, they were not common. Modelers with an earlier focus, like me and several others, could use more high walkway tank cars. Admittedly, we are a pretty small market for this type of detail product.

What would be useful is a metal etching production house that follows the Shapeways model. But again, it's a small market for even those details. Just my thoughts.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 01/03/2021 6:04 AM Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

Given all of the very good recent photographs of tank cars, I am wondering about the availability of detailing kits for these?  The usual models of these leave some things to be desired...

Ray Hutchison 
Green Bay WI

akerboomk

RE: High-platform tank cars

Note that anyone modeling a WW-II period “oil” tank car train could use a couple.

They weren’t many, but they did stand out in the pictures I have seen.

--
Ken Akerboom

Charlie Vlk

All-

I recall seeing such CB&Q cars in (probably) company service during the late 1950s and maybe into the early 1960s.

Don’t recall the number series but it should be able to come up with them from the “Ownership, Age & Condition” rosters.

I model in N Scale and so far we don’t have any such cars to letter up.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of akerboomk
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 12:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Detailing for early tank cars

Note that anyone modeling a WW-II period “oil” tank car train could use a couple.

--
Ken Akerboom

Richard Townsend

The C&S used CB&Q and FW&D high walkway tank cars to bring fuel up from Texas. There often was one parked at the C&S enginehouse in Fort Collins for fueling the oil-burning steamers and, later, the diesels based there.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, Jan 3, 2021 10:22 am

All-
I recall seeing such CB&Q cars in (probably) company service during the late 1950s and maybe into the early 1960s.
Don’t recall the number series but it should be able to come up with them from the “Ownership, Age & Condition” rosters.
I model in N Scale and so far we don’t have any such cars to letter up.
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of akerboomk
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 12:00 PM

--
Ken Akerboom

Jake Schaible

No shortage of options of "horribly overscaled" early tank cars.... might I suggest the Funaro & Camerlengo type 7 ACF kits with High Walk?

For HO detail parts, Jason over at Owl Mountain Models makes a useful assortment of M.C.B. and Frangible tank car dome vents, and various parties make quality brake parts.    

But alas - I share Charlie's pain.

I'd love to see N scale get, say a "High Walk" 10K gal ACF type 7 (like SD&AE MW 1021 which still stands to this day - in the wild, trapped but not forgotten - in Jacumba, CA). 

Still, there are a few obscure kits for tank car diversity for N scale guys.  Not a "high walk", but Dick Billings of Fine N Scale makes a resin cast of an early high dome tank for use on his 35' truss rod flat cars.  It's a bit generic, but I'm working on a pair now as "Pease" rebuilt as CS-12A cars for SP service, with hope to try using decals designed by Tony Thompson, now produced by Tichy.  These FNR-2104 castings - if with a new dome - might even be a better stand ins for early AOX tank cars used privately, but apparently saw use in SP & Santa Fe (Tk-C & D) service (see Tony's SPFC vol 5 p 215). 

Speaking of Santa Fe in N scale, while not truss rod, you should also be aware of the wonderful early AT&SF Tk-G to Tk-J kits by Dirk Jan Blikkendaal in the Netherlands (https://atsfnscalemodels.com/projects/tankcars%20class%20tk-g%2C%20h%2C%20i%2C%20j.html)

Bruce Smith

Ray,

When you say "early", what years do you mean? 

And "the usual models"... what does that mean?

There are excellent models out there of many pre-WWII tank cars that need no, or next to no embellishment, both in plastic and resin... far more than I have time to build right now, that's for sure! 

There are also quite a number of detail parts. The Owl Mountain safety valves have been mentioned, but others include the Precision brass hand rail stanchions, and bonnet (for pressurized cars), as well as brass outlets, etched brass platforms (Yarmouth)... so what are you looking for?

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 7:04 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Detailing for early tank cars

Ray Hutchison 
Green Bay WI

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Ken and Friends,

Ah, but some of these cars lasted a long time in company service. The Western Pacific still had AC&F 10K Type 7 cars until the very early 1980s. One still survives at the Western Railroad Museum. I've been hoping for a 10K Type 7 for years. I would even be satisfied with an AC&F 10K car with low walkways.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 1:00 PM akerboomk <ken-akerboom@...> wrote:

--
Ken Akerboom