Topics

Detailing for early tank cars

Ray Hutchison

Given all of the very good recent photographs of tank cars, I am wondering about the availability of detailing kits for these?  The usual models of these leave some things to be desired...

Ray Hutchison
Green Bay WI

Eric Hansmann

Ray,

I suspect this would need to be a labor of love. While some prototypes lasted into the 1940s, they were not common. Modelers with an earlier focus, like me and several others, could use more high walkway tank cars. Admittedly, we are a pretty small market for this type of detail product.

What would be useful is a metal etching production house that follows the Shapeways model. But again, it's a small market for even those details. Just my thoughts.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 01/03/2021 6:04 AM Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

Given all of the very good recent photographs of tank cars, I am wondering about the availability of detailing kits for these?  The usual models of these leave some things to be desired...

Ray Hutchison
Green Bay WI

akerboomk

RE: High-platform tank cars

Note that anyone modeling a WW-II period “oil” tank car train could use a couple.

They weren’t many, but they did stand out in the pictures I have seen.

--
Ken Akerboom

Charlie Vlk

All-

I recall seeing such CB&Q cars in (probably) company service during the late 1950s and maybe into the early 1960s.

Don’t recall the number series but it should be able to come up with them from the “Ownership, Age & Condition” rosters.

I model in N Scale and so far we don’t have any such cars to letter up.

Charlie Vlk

Note that anyone modeling a WW-II period “oil” tank car train could use a couple.

They weren’t many, but they did stand out in the pictures I have seen.

--
Ken Akerboom

Richard Townsend

The C&S used CB&Q and FW&D high walkway tank cars to bring fuel up from Texas. There often was one parked at the C&S enginehouse in Fort Collins for fueling the oil-burning steamers and, later, the diesels based there.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR