Topics

Digest Number 32

Paul Kattner

even Westland Lysanders (let's see how >many people on this list recognize that one!)......Westland Lysander-British High wing monoplane originally intended to serve as an artillery spotting aircraft but was rather over engineered for that purpose. Wound up carrying supplies and covert operatives to France during the Nazi occupation in support of the French Resistance and intelligence gathering capabilities. Had superb short field capabilities....Am I close?

Have a Good Day
Paul Kattner

Richard Hendrickson

Paul Kattner wrote, in response to my passing reference to Westland Lysanders:

....British High wing monoplane originally
intended to serve as an artillery spotting aircraft but was rather over
engineered for that purpose. Wound up carrying supplies and covert
operatives to France during the Nazi occupation in support of the French
Resistance and intelligence gathering capabilities. Had superb short field
capabilities....Am I close?
Right on! I would add, powered by an 870 h.p. Bristol Mercury radial, it
had a top speed of 230 mph (not bad for an aircraft with fixed gear and big
wing struts) and a rated useful load of about 2,000 lbs., though legend has
it that this was often exceeded by a large margin and the airplane would
still fly; Lysanders had the reputation of being able to carry half the
load of a (British) box car/goods wagon (obligatory freight car content).
An ex-Canadian air force Mark IIIA Lysander has been restored and is flying
today in England.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520