From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 12:44 PM
To: realSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] dimensional standard?

I’ve always eyeballed the offset from the car centerline for the air hose brackets.  It’s usually been known to not be accurate anyway, since the coupler pocket’s too wide to allow it to be properly located.

But now that Kadee 262 Narrow Whisker pockets allow us to get a lot closer to reality, I’m moved to ask if there was (is?) an AAR standard dimension.  What can the members of this list tell me?

Schuyler

Dave Parker

Schuyler:

The 1918 drawings of the MCB S&RPs indicate that the air hose must be centered vertically on the coupler's centerline, and horizontally 13" from the car's center-line.  The copy is pretty poor, so I am maybe 95% confident that I am reading those numbers correctly.

I'd be surprised if that standard changed during our period.

Best regards.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

earlyrail

Yes there is.
From the 1940 Car Builders Cyc, page 980 there are location dimensions for the angle cock.

for Wood underframe car   13" from  center-line
for steel underframe car built after 1916  15"
for new cars with 20" couplers 15 1/2"

Howard Garner

vapeurchapelon

Hello Jack,

please allow to chime in with the question where I can find the complete article. I would be very interested to learn more about brake systems as I have several freight car models with seemingly senseless arrangement of parts.

Many thanks in advance

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. März 2020 um 21:00 Uhr
Von: "Jack Burgess" <jack@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] dimensional standard?

Schuyler…

Attached is page 2 from Gene Green extensive article on Air Brakes. The closest that I can get from the air hose brackets to the Kadee #158 scale head couplers is 16”.

Jack Burgess

I’ve always eyeballed the offset from the car centerline for the air hose brackets.  It’s usually been known to not be accurate anyway, since the coupler pocket’s too wide to allow it to be properly located.

But now that Kadee 262 Narrow Whisker pockets allow us to get a lot closer to reality, I’m moved to ask if there was (is?) an AAR standard dimension.  What can the members of this list tell me?

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee

Thank you, Jack, appreciated.  One of the things that happens over time is you forget all the references you have to work with, and I do have this one.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Schuyler

Attached is page 2 from Gene Green extensive article on Air Brakes. The closest that I can get from the air hose brackets to the Kadee #158 scale head couplers is 16”.

Jack Burgess

I’ve always eyeballed the offset from the car centerline for the air hose brackets.  It’s usually been known to not be accurate anyway, since the coupler pocket’s too wide to allow it to be properly located.

But now that Kadee 262 Narrow Whisker pockets allow us to get a lot closer to reality, I’m moved to ask if there was (is?) an AAR standard dimension.  What can the members of this list tell me?

Schuyler

Jack Burgess

Note that the air hose bracket is to be angled 30 degrees off of vertical.

Jack Burgess

for Wood underframe car   13" from  center-line

for steel underframe car built after 1916  15"

for new cars with 20" couplers 15 1/2"

Howard Garner

Rufus Cone

The three volume series called Chalk Talks Air Brake Study Course are available for full view at Hathi Trust.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ls?field1=ocr;q1=railroad%20air%20brakes%20chalk%20talk;a=srchls;lmt=ft

also the 1919 Car Builders' Cyclopedia

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015006057858&view=1up&seq=5

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Douglas Harding

Johannes it can be found in the group files. I posted it there years ago.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. März 2020 um 21:00 Uhr
Von: "Jack Burgess" <jack@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Schuyler…

Attached is page 2 from Gene Green extensive article on Air Brakes. The closest that I can get from the air hose brackets to the Kadee #158 scale head couplers is 16”.

Jack Burgess

I’ve always eyeballed the offset from the car centerline for the air hose brackets.  It’s usually been known to not be accurate anyway, since the coupler pocket’s too wide to allow it to be properly located.

But now that Kadee 262 Narrow Whisker pockets allow us to get a lot closer to reality, I’m moved to ask if there was (is?) an AAR standard dimension.  What can the members of this list tell me?

Schuyler

vapeurchapelon

Rufus,

many thanks for these links! Definitely worth saving!

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. März 2020 um 21:52 Uhr
Von: "Rufus Cone" <rclist09@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

The three volume series called Chalk Talks Air Brake Study Course are
available for full view at Hathi Trust.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ls?field1=ocr;q1=railroad%20air%20brakes%20chalk%20talk;a=srchls;lmt=ft

also the 1919 Car Builders' Cyclopedia

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015006057858&view=1up&seq=5

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

vapeurchapelon

Doug,

many thanks. I already received a Pdf from Jack, thankfully.

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. März 2020 um 21:59 Uhr
Von: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io