Topics

DL&W brake system help

Lester Breuer
 

I am looking at Delaware, Lackawanna & Western auto double door rebuilt steel box, series 11300 to 11599, rebuilt 1935 to 1937   The Yarmouth Model Works kit #115 comes with K brakes.   Upon looking at the Jan. 1953 ORER I see 199 cars still in service.  My question did the cars in service receive AB brakes or did they not run in Interchange service?

Thank You in advance for your time and effort to answer.
Lester Breuer

Allan Smith
 


Railway Prototype Cyc Vol 24 P83 stated that DL&W series 11350-11599 were rebuilt April thru September1936 and equipped with new Youngstown steel sides, Hutchins all-steel Dry lading roofs, staggered Youngstown corrugated steel doors with Camel roller-lift fixtures enclosing 12'-6 1/4"wide door openings, Ajax Type 13396 power hand brakes, Evans Auto-Loaders and twelve chain wells. When rebuilt the cars retained their original Andrews truck sideframes, KC schedule air brake systems, wood running boards and brake steps and 5-5-5 Murphy ends with newly fabricated extensions between the top and middle sections. The cars were assigned the AAR XAR automobile car classification and weighed 53,000 lbs.

These cars are on my Sierra RR list in 1952 and I have them to build, so I am also curious to see if they had the KC brake valves replaced do to AAR requirements.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 11:40:57 AM PDT, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:


I am looking at Delaware, Lackawanna & Western auto double door rebuilt steel box, series 11300 to 11599, rebuilt 1935 to 1937   The Yarmouth Model Works kit #115 comes with K brakes.   Upon looking at the Jan. 1953 ORER I see 199 cars still in service.  My question did the cars in service receive AB brakes or did they not run in Interchange service?

Thank You in advance for your time and effort to answer.
Lester Breuer

Schleigh Mike
 

Hello Group!

When Pierre announced these cars I placed a notice about the ELRRHS reprint of the DL&W's 1952 "Car Department -- Classification of Fright Equipment."  This reference lists 245 cars in service and that "AB Brakes Being Applied."

Hope this helps with any 'timing' issues.

Regards----Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 05:19:25 PM EDT, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:



Railway Prototype Cyc Vol 24 P83 stated that DL&W series 11350-11599 were rebuilt April thru September1936 and equipped with new Youngstown steel sides, Hutchins all-steel Dry lading roofs, staggered Youngstown corrugated steel doors with Camel roller-lift fixtures enclosing 12'-6 1/4"wide door openings, Ajax Type 13396 power hand brakes, Evans Auto-Loaders and twelve chain wells. When rebuilt the cars retained their original Andrews truck sideframes, KC schedule air brake systems, wood running boards and brake steps and 5-5-5 Murphy ends with newly fabricated extensions between the top and middle sections. The cars were assigned the AAR XAR automobile car classification and weighed 53,000 lbs.

These cars are on my Sierra RR list in 1952 and I have them to build, so I am also curious to see if they had the KC brake valves replaced do to AAR requirements.

Al Smith
Sonora CA
On Monday, March 30, 2020, 11:40:57 AM PDT, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:


I am looking at Delaware, Lackawanna & Western auto double door rebuilt steel box, series 11300 to 11599, rebuilt 1935 to 1937   The Yarmouth Model Works kit #115 comes with K brakes.   Upon looking at the Jan. 1953 ORER I see 199 cars still in service.  My question did the cars in service receive AB brakes or did they not run in Interchange service?

Thank You in advance for your time and effort to answer.
Lester Breuer

Lester Breuer
 

Al as you state these cars are written up in RP CYC 24 and  I am aware they are shown prior to rebuild in RP CYC 16.  The data does say K brake stayed when rebuilt  in 1936.   However, I am asking about 1953.  Were they changed to AB or not then?
Lester Breuer

Allan Smith
 

Thanks Mike that is a big help

Al Smith

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 02:40:16 PM PDT, Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:


Hello Group!

When Pierre announced these cars I placed a notice about the ELRRHS reprint of the DL&W's 1952 "Car Department -- Classification of Fright Equipment."  This reference lists 245 cars in service and that "AB Brakes Being Applied."

Hope this helps with any 'timing' issues.

Regards----Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 05:19:25 PM EDT, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:



Railway Prototype Cyc Vol 24 P83 stated that DL&W series 11350-11599 were rebuilt April thru September1936 and equipped with new Youngstown steel sides, Hutchins all-steel Dry lading roofs, staggered Youngstown corrugated steel doors with Camel roller-lift fixtures enclosing 12'-6 1/4"wide door openings, Ajax Type 13396 power hand brakes, Evans Auto-Loaders and twelve chain wells. When rebuilt the cars retained their original Andrews truck sideframes, KC schedule air brake systems, wood running boards and brake steps and 5-5-5 Murphy ends with newly fabricated extensions between the top and middle sections. The cars were assigned the AAR XAR automobile car classification and weighed 53,000 lbs.

These cars are on my Sierra RR list in 1952 and I have them to build, so I am also curious to see if they had the KC brake valves replaced do to AAR requirements.

Al Smith
Sonora CA
On Monday, March 30, 2020, 11:40:57 AM PDT, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:


I am looking at Delaware, Lackawanna & Western auto double door rebuilt steel box, series 11300 to 11599, rebuilt 1935 to 1937   The Yarmouth Model Works kit #115 comes with K brakes.   Upon looking at the Jan. 1953 ORER I see 199 cars still in service.  My question did the cars in service receive AB brakes or did they not run in Interchange service?

Thank You in advance for your time and effort to answer.
Lester Breuer

Lester Breuer
 

Mike provides the answer.   In 1953 they should hav AB brakes.  Thank You Mike and Al for your help.

Lester Breuer