Door opening size on an LV 8500 series Autombile box

Bud Rindfleisch

Gents,
    I don't have access to an ORER that would give me the door opening size to an LV 50' autobox in the 8500-8599 series. It looks like two evenly sized doors but they don't look to be 8 footers, so 7 foot maybe? Any help?
    Bud Rindfleisch -  attachment scanned from Morning Sun CNJ/LV freight and PassengerEquipment in Color

Dave Parker

Bud:

My 1945 ORER gives the total width as 15-0.  They also had end doors 9-2 W by 10-2 H.  Hope this helps.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bud,

My October 1958 ORER says a 15' opening. It is a little bit hard to be sure if both doors are the same width in your photo due to perspective, but it looks to me like they are the same. I have the Proto 2000 model of car 8516 (stock # 21025 from the first run) with equal doors which in combined width seem to be about 15' 6". This suggests the actual width of each door was about 7' 9".  Usually the original Proto 2000 cars got most things right (I said "Most"; the LV car's sills aren't quite the same as your photo.)

Yours Aye

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 1:37 PM Bud Rindfleisch <BlackDiamondRR@...> wrote:
Gents,
    I don't have access to an ORER that would give me the door opening size to an LV 50' autobox in the 8500-8599 series. It looks like two evenly sized doors but they don't look to be 8 footers, so 7 foot maybe? Any help?
    Bud Rindfleisch -  attachment scanned from Morning Sun CNJ/LV freight and PassengerEquipment in Color

Attachments:

Tim O'Connor

The Proto model are "generically" correct for the paint schemes they offered but I don't
think they are 100% correct right out of the box for any prototype.

Tim O'Connor

On 3/24/2021 2:31 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

I forgot the ORER data - from 1950

On 3/24/2021 3:57 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

The Proto model are "generically" correct for the paint schemes they offered but I don't
think they are 100% correct right out of the box for any prototype.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

Awfully close for SP Class A-50-14.
Tony Thompson

On Mar 24, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

<lv 8516 Proto2000.JPG>
<lv_8505 50ft_DD_box AAR end-door builder.jpg>

Tim O'Connor

except for the "box girder" underframe :-)

On 3/24/2021 5:54 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Awfully close for SP Class A-50-14.
Tony Thompson

On Mar 24, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The Proto model are "generically" correct for the paint schemes they offered but I don't
think they are 100% correct right out of the box for any prototype.

Sterling, Massachusetts

Steve and Barb Hile

The LV diagram sheet shows the opening to be 15’0” and the doors needed to be a bit wider to cover the opening.  I get the impression from the photos Tim attached that the left hand door is slightly wider than the right hand door.  A general arrangement drawing should be available from the MOT library in St. Louis, which might dimension the doors.

Steve Hile

[...]

Thanks for all the information on the LV 50' double door auto boxes. If that door opening is15' and the doors are what appears to be equal width, my next question is....was there a 7'6" wide Youngstown door?
     Bud Rindfleisch

Steve and Barb Hile

Bud,

I still not convinced that the left hand door isn’t the same width as the main/right hand door.  Nevertheless, the doors are somewhat wider than the clear opening in order to completely cover the opening.

And something that I hadn’t known before is shown in this figure from the 1940 CBC

What surprised me was the center beam that moves with the left hand door and, essentially restricts the clear opening by about 6”.

To answer your overall question, I doubt that anyone would flinch is you used two 8 foot doors to cover the opening.

Steve Hile