Door opening size on an LV 8500 series Automobile box

Schuyler Larrabee

I think the two doors are in fact the same width, in part because of the simplification of inventory for the railroads (Not just the LV).  “Oh, yeah, we need to get more 7’-6” doors, plenty of 8’ doors on hand but we need the narrower doors too , , ,”

I doubt that.

What Steve discovered below might have something to do with the entire door opening dimension question.  Are you measuring the NET door opening, or the opening in the steel side of the car?

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 6:11 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Door opening size on an LV 8500 series Autombile box

Bud,

I still not convinced that the left hand door isn’t the same width as the main/right hand door.  Nevertheless, the doors are somewhat wider than the clear opening in order to completely cover the opening.

And something that I hadn’t known before is shown in this figure from the 1940 CBC

What surprised me was the center beam that moves with the left hand door and, essentially restricts the clear opening by about 6”.

To answer your overall question, I doubt that anyone would flinch is you used two 8 foot doors to cover the opening.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bud Rindfleisch
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 7:52 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Door opening size on an LV 8500 series Autombile box

Thanks for all the information on the LV 50' double door auto boxes. If that door opening is15' and the doors are what appears to be equal width, my next question is....was there a 7'6" wide Youngstown door? 
     Bud Rindfleisch