Dry Ice Corp reefer, DICX ?? 218? in May 1943

Robert kirkham

I’m not sure how many colour photos there are of these reefers in the midst of WWII.  Pealing paint make the reporting marks a bit tricky, but if you squint right, they are obvious.  My 1953 ORER copy doesn’t list a car with the number series i’ve used; - something like 218?  Hard to say.  The car is a bright white (or aluminum?) colour - the second nearest car to the photographer, right of centre in the photos.    https://www.loc.gov/item/2017878179/

Might make an interesting modelling project.  I wonder if there are better photos or drawings, or it would be a “make your best guess” project . . .

Rob

nyc3001 .

iirc most of the DICX reefers were rebuilt from MDT wood and composite reefers.

-Phil Lee

Robert kirkham

Thanks for the lead Phil.

Rob

On May 14, 2022, at 10:32 PM, nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:

iirc most of the DICX reefers were rebuilt from MDT wood and composite reefers.

-Phil Lee

William Dale

Rob,
     During the Valley Forge RPM, Steve Funaro presented on the dry ice cars of the era. While the photo attached is a finished kit he released, and not necessarily this exact topic, the car in question was touched off upon. Now, Steve did express an interest in doing these particular style of cars, it may be quite a time till we see it, but maybe it may be worth a try to contact them. Just a thought.

Billy

William Dale

kevinhlafferty

Those kits are actually available. They don't appear to be listed on the F&C website but Locomotive Hobbies has them available on eBay along with what I assume is an earlier style car. I have purchased one of the kits but am currently awaiting some replacement decals as the ones in the kit were disappointing. YMMV
F&C 8520

Kevin Lafferty

Robert kirkham

I should have included a screen capture from the original image, as its not showing the car being issued by F&C.   Here it is:

Rob

On May 14, 2022, at 10:52 PM, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

Thanks for the lead Phil.

Rob

On May 14, 2022, at 10:32 PM, nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:

iirc most of the DICX reefers were rebuilt from MDT wood and composite reefers.

-Phil Lee

Tim O'Connor

There were dry ice reefers (attached) and later on (mid 1950's) Pure Carbonic began to operate
a fleet of insulated box cars (RB bunkerless refrigerators) and those ran into the 1970's!

Tim O'Connor

On 5/15/2022 9:36 AM, William Dale wrote:
Rob,
     During the Valley Forge RPM, Steve Funaro presented on the dry ice cars of the era. While the photo attached is a finished kit he released, and not necessarily this exact topic, the car in question was touched off upon. Now, Steve did express an interest in doing these particular style of cars, it may be quite a time till we see it, but maybe it may be worth a try to contact them. Just a thought.

Billy

Sterling, Massachusetts

Robert kirkham

Great selection of photos Tim.   Given the illegibility of the reporting mark in the Delano photo, no.208 in your email may even be the same car (with different lettering in some places).

I spent a little more time reading the 1953 ORER for Pure Carbonic Company, and found the listing for 100 cars in series 160-259.  The cars were 25’ interior length, 6’ 1” IW and 6’ IH.

Rob

On May 15, 2022, at 9:23 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

There were dry ice reefers (attached) and later on (mid 1950's) Pure Carbonic began to operate
a fleet of insulated box cars (RB bunkerless refrigerators) and those ran into the 1970's!

Tim O'Connor

On 5/15/2022 9:36 AM, William Dale wrote:
Rob,
     During the Valley Forge RPM, Steve Funaro presented on the dry ice cars of the era. While the photo attached is a finished kit he released, and not necessarily this exact topic, the car in question was touched off upon. Now, Steve did express an interest in doing these particular style of cars, it may be quite a time till we see it, but maybe it may be worth a try to contact them. Just a thought.

Billy

Sterling, Massachusetts <dicx_208 40ft_reefer MDT PureCarbonic dryice circa 1956.jpg><dicx_128 40ft_reefer MDT partial-view PureCarbonic dryice PhiladelphiaPA 5-15-1949.ebay.jpg><dicx_190 40ft_reefer MDT PureCarbonic dryice BuffaloNY shopdate 12-52 scrap date 6-58.JParker 118.jpg><dicx_374 40ft_box RB rebuild PureCarbonic dryice shopdate 3-57.ebay.firstout.jpg>

nyc3001 .

It looks like all of the composite cars in Tim's post were rebuilt from MDT 6000-series cars, of which there were 2,000. Hopefully there will be new resin releases of these MDT/NRC reefers as well as the M4s, which have even more possible prototype schemes.

-Phil

Tim O'Connor

On 5/15/2022 5:25 PM, nyc3001 . wrote:
It looks like all of the composite cars in Tim's post were rebuilt from MDT 6000-series cars, of which there were 2,000. Hopefully there will be new resin releases of these MDT/NRC reefers as well as the M4s, which have even more possible prototype schemes.

-Phil

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Nelson

Tweeked slightly to remove some of that red overlay and to add a bit of cyan.  No assurance of accuracy to historical facts is given.
Dave Nelson