DT&I boxcar color early 1950's

O Fenton Wells

Any suggestions regarding painting a DT&I boxcar say around 1950?  Scale coat is my favorite.  I believe it is browner thna red but not sure.
Thanks for any help.

Pierre Oliver

I've always leaned towards Oxide Red for that Railroad

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 1/16/22 1:27 p.m., O Fenton Wells wrote:

Any suggestions regarding painting a DT&I boxcar say around 1950?  Scale coat is my favorite.  I believe it is browner thna red but not sure.
Thanks for any help.

Nelson Moyer

I inquired when I was building my YMW DT&I car, and I’ve pasted in a summary of responses.

Black – ends, underframe, roof, corner grab irons, and trucks

Freight car brown – sides

Running board and brake step were unpainted steel.

The DT&I Historical Society recommends a Floquil mix of 1 part Rust and 1 part Boxcar Red.

One modeler used a mix of Scalecoat II Oxide Red and Scalecoat Boxcar Red #3.

I used the Floquil mix. Hope that’s helpful.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2022 12:28 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] DT&I boxcar color early 1950's

Thanks for any help.

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Nelson and Pierre. Really appreciate the help. 

On Jan 16, 2022, at 1:36 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I inquired when I was building my YMW DT&I car, and I’ve pasted in a summary of responses.

The DT&I Historical Society recommends a Floquil mix of 1 part Rust and 1 part Boxcar Red.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells

Thanks for any help.

O Fenton Wells

I’m doing 2 DT&I cars. The USRA rebuild the 11,000 series and the 1923 ARA (x29) the 18000 series post WW II version. Would the 1923 car also get black roof and ends?
I can’t find a photo of the 1923 car in the pre 1955 paint 
Thanks
Fenton 

On Jan 16, 2022, at 2:17 PM, O Fenton Wells via groups.io <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Thanks Nelson and Pierre. Really appreciate the help. 

On Jan 16, 2022, at 1:36 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

Thanks for any help.

Nelson Moyer

I don’t know. My car was a series 14000-14199 built in July 1948 with raised panel Murphy roof. The 1950 series of this car was the same except for a diagonal panel roof. The paint information I got was for those series built between 1948=1950.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2022 1:48 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] DT&I boxcar color early 1950's

I’m doing 2 DT&I cars. The USRA rebuild the 11,000 series and the 1923 ARA (x29) the 18000 series post WW II version. Would the 1923 car also get black roof and ends?

Thanks

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Nelson. Good info 
Fenton 

On Jan 16, 2022, at 3:22 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I don’t know. My car was a series 14000-14199 built in July 1948 with raised panel Murphy roof. The 1950 series of this car was the same except for a diagonal panel roof. The paint information I got was for those series built between 1948=1950.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2022 1:48 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] DT&I boxcar color early 1950's

Thanks